[Solved] Moving AOO from Win 7/64 to Imac 10.13 High Sierra

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
rs911T

[Solved] Moving AOO from Win 7/64 to Imac 10.13 High Sierra

Post by rs911T »

Solved!
My appreciation to all the posters! Every post contributed to the success of this move. The suggested use of the search String "~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice/4/User" was critical to getting to the User folder. Icon navigation failed to get me there.
The Config and Registry Modifications were left in. They both appear to contain useable files such as the toolbar setup, and many of the graphics type settings. The .Dat file contained the spell checker dictionary.

As a long time user of OpenOffice on this Windows 7 laptop, I opted go move over to an IMAC OS X 10.13x.
I have one .ods file on OOG with 8 sheets that I wish to continue using on the Mac OS. It's complex, and I've been developing/customizing it for 5 years.

I've downloaded and installed the Mac version of OOG (4.1.5). I've read that I can copy my "user" folder from 'user/appdata etc' into the equivalent location on a new install on another machine. I believe they meant Windows to Windows.

SO, reaching out to the community, I'm asking for your help.

Question:

Is what I want to do possible? I want to move my settings over to OOG-Mac, open my existing .ods file, and Life is good! (Or maybe a lot of work) or worse :|

Search returns nothing on this topic.

Thank You;
RS, Orlando, FLorida USA
Last edited by rs911T on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Openoffice 4.1.5
Windows 7 64
Mac 10.13
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Moving OOG from Windows 7/64 to Imac 10.13 High Sierra

Post by John_Ha »

If you want to copy your settings and customisation of AOO from W7 to MacOs try the following.

1 On W7, copy C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\*.* to a USB memory stick

2 Instal AOO on the Mac

3 On the Mac use Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Paths to locate the path for the Profile. I think it is Preferences on Mac.
The Profile path on W7 is C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\
The Profile path on W7 is C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\
4 Take a copy of ...\user as ...\user_copy just in case things don't work.

5 Copy everything from the memory stick except do not copy registrymodifications and do not copy ...\config.

6 Test AOO. If it doesn't work, replace ...\user with ...\user_copy so you are back to square one.

Then copy all your .user files from W7 to the Mac.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

rs911T wrote:I have one .ods file on OOG
I have never heard of OOG. I know AOO (Apache OpenOffice.org), OOo (OpenOffice.org), LO (LibreOffice), StarOffice, NeoOffice, OOo4kids and OOoLight but not OOG. What is it? If you want OpenOffice, download only from openoffice.org/download.
rs911T wrote:I've read that I can copy my "user" folder from 'user/appdata etc' into the same location on a new install on another machine.
Your appdata is a Windows directory. For information about the location of the user directory on a Mac see [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q02/A02. Be sure to Quit OpenOffice before changing any contents in the user directory.
rs911T wrote:OS X 10.13
Also review Q15/A15.
John_Ha wrote:Copy everything from the memory stick except do not copy registrymodifications and do not copy ...\config.
I do not agree with those exceptions. Both registrymodifications.xcu and the config directory have valuable customization you probably want to copy. You'll want to ensure that the settings in OpenOffice → Preferences → OpenOffice → Paths do not get changed back to Windows settings, but I don't know where they are stored. I suggest you view OpenOffice → Preferences → OpenOffice → Paths and note the locations, replace the entire user directory, then check the paths again and fix them manually if needed.
rs911T wrote:I've downloaded and installed the Mac version of OOG.
If you've installed the same version of this "OOG" software on the Mac as you had on Windows, copying the user directory should be fine. However if you ran, say OpenOffice version 3.4.1 on Windows but installed OpenOffice 4.1.5 on the Mac, since 3 ≠ 4 a new user profile is recommended for a version change.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
rs911T

Post by rs911T »

rs911T:

Correction: AOO.

Working with suggestions....

Thank You!
Wil post resulting status. Both the W7 AOO, & Imac intall are the latest versions. 4.1.5
Openoffice 4.1.5
Windows 7 64
Mac 10.13
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

MrProgrammer wrote:
John_Ha wrote:Copy everything from the memory stick except do not copy registrymodifications and do not copy ...\config.
I do not agree with those exceptions.
I suggest those exceptions because registrymodifications.xcu and probably ...\config contain paths which are likely to be different on MACOS than on Windows 7.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.