Volunteer

Re: Styles for text & numbers in same column

Post by keme »

To disable the input help for previous runs:
  • Select cell range T3:Y6
  • Select menu item Data - Validity...
  • Click the Input help tab
  • Untick Show input help when cell is selected
(Invalid entries will still be disallowed)
Explore other options in the dialog to find out more.

To fix the codeset if I used a wrong letter:
  • Click the Validitylists sheet tab (bottom of the window)
  • In the Outcomes table, edit the Codes column
  • Also, enter different ranks for the non-finishing codes if you want to differentiate in your analysis.
Do similarly for the sexes list if codes or categories are not appropriate.

The data validation is only a preliminary step to ensure consistent data. If you intend to do statistical analysis, you need consistency.
Explain what kind of analysis/arrangement you are after, and someone (possibly myself) will try to provide simple solutions for that.
Skompy

Post by Skompy »

keme wrote:To disable the input help for previous runs:
  • Select cell range T3:Y6
  • Select menu item Data - Validity...
  • Click the Input help tab
  • Untick Show input help when cell is selected
(Invalid entries will still be disallowed)
Explore other options in the dialog to find out more.

To fix the codeset if I used a wrong letter:
  • Click the Validitylists sheet tab (bottom of the window)
  • In the Outcomes table, edit the Codes column
  • Also, enter different ranks for the non-finishing codes if you want to differentiate in your analysis.
Do similarly for the sexes list if codes or categories are not appropriate.

The data validation is only a preliminary step to ensure consistent data. If you intend to do statistical analysis, you need consistency.
Explain what kind of analysis/arrangement you are after, and someone (possibly myself) will try to provide simple solutions for that.

I still do not understand what the validity function is for, why I need it or how do I use it. This is because you have not actually explained this function to me or why I need it, etc.
I have changed the text for the codes on the 2nd tab (sexes one- S to C) and added another one (H), but the changes have not been reflected in the yellow boxes on the 1st tab when I click on either the Sex column or anywhere along columns T-Y. I have no idea what I am doing so perhaps this is why the changes are not showing up in the yellow boxes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 AOO416m1(Build:9790) - Rev. 1844436
Mac OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra) 32GB RAM

Saying "Never say never" says it.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

The data validation is only a preliminary step to ensure consistent data. If you intend to do statistical analysis, or even for simple sorting, you need consistency.

Explain what kind of analysis/arrangement you are after, and someone (possibly myself) will try to provide simple solutions for that, for you to build upon.
Skompy

Post by Skompy »

keme wrote:The data validation is only a preliminary step to ensure consistent data. If you intend to do statistical analysis, or even for simple sorting, you need consistency.

Explain what kind of analysis/arrangement you are after, and someone (possibly myself) will try to provide simple solutions for that, for you to build upon.
You have still not explained, after all your posts and my repeated request for you to do so, why you have introduced this data validation thing to me, why I need it, how it works, etc. I do not understand why this is so hard for you to do.
And so I had a look at data validation in the Calc help and it seems that mostly, it does not apply to my s/s, because of all the data that has already been entered, as explained here.

"The validity rule is activated when a new value is entered. If an invalid value has already been inserted into the cell, or if you insert a value in the cell either with drag-and-drop or by copying and pasting, the validity rule will not take effect."

And because I still do not understand what this data validation thing is, or why I need it, I cannot consider it for my s/s.

I repeat that I do not know what analysis I need, at this point in time, because I am still entering data and I will be doing so for some time to come.

keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Ok, in that case I have jumped to faulty conlusions. I apologize!

The tables i utilized for data validation can also be used for enumeration of your data, translating codes to numbers. This makes analysis more straightforward. It is easier to explain this by example than by principle. That is why I asked what kind of analysis you envisioned. I thought you had something in mind.

What, in particular, do you want to achieve by the formatting you requested? If it has all been solved by other responses, just disregard everything I said. (You can always get back to it at a later time if you ever suspect that it may be of use to you. At best, you are working on a proper database by then, in which case my comments are even less relevant. :D )
Skompy

Post by Skompy »

keme wrote:The tables i utilized for data validation can also be used for enumeration of your data, translating codes to numbers. This makes analysis more straightforward. It is easier to explain this by example than by principle. That is why I asked what kind of analysis you envisioned. I thought you had something in mind.
I don't know to what tables you refer to.
keme wrote:What, in particular, do you want to achieve by the formatting you requested?
If you read my original post, it is all there.
keme wrote:You can always get back to it at a later time if you ever suspect that it may be of use to you.
It is quite likely that I will need more help as I advance my spreadsheet, so this is entirely possible.

Martin667
Banned

Post by Martin667 »

Skompy wrote:I have some columns in a very large spreadsheet which contain both text and numbers. How do I apply a style to such columns?
My initial thought was to sort each of these columns, create and apply a style for all the cells in that column (using the format painter tool) which have text and then do the same for those rows which have numbers. Then, as I add further rows of data, I simply use the format painter to apply the appropriate styles to each row, from previous rows which have the exact same style in each column.

Also, I have one column where I express how many times an outcome was achieved, out of a total number of events which have occurred, as follows;
0/0, 0/1, 1/3, 2/4, 1/5, 0/3, etc,. etc. I have problems with 1/2, 1/4 and 3/4, as these are treated as a division calculation by Calc. So I have to add spaces as follows; 1 / 2, 1 / 4, 3 / 4. How should I set the style for this column and also, deal with the division issue?

This spreadsheet will ultimately become a database and so I would also wish to ensure any issues with cell values and styles are resolved beforehand.
I am also confused and in need of light on this same issue. Need help.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista | [url=https://mybkexperience.us/][color=#000000]MYBKExperience[/color][/url]
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Martin667 wrote:I am also confused and in need of light on this same issue. Need help.
This thread is very long and I'm afraid nobody has a clear idea of what basically was the issue. I would not expect the one line you wrote to help much to make clear what you need. Better start a new topic. Try to point out your actual needs very clearly from the beginning. That you are confused should be expected if you read through this thread. Please reduce confusion and tidy up. Then help may be at hand - or not. We will see.
Please don't quote something like the original post by "skompy" again. Though more than one line it didn't show the dircetion clearly the first time and won't now.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München