[Solved] Cannot see spreadsheets after upgrade?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Flowerloverly

[Solved] Cannot see spreadsheets after upgrade?

Post by Flowerloverly »

I have been happily running Open Office 3.3.0, but made the mistake of upgrading my MacBook Air Mid 2013 to Mojave Version 10.14. Now when I open some of my spreadsheets, the information is just not visible on about 90% of the file. Some files are fine and some are really bad. If I highlight a cell, I can see what is in it but if it is not highlighted, it looks blank. I tried to change the font type and size, but that didn't do a thing. Some of these are really important files and I need information from them as soon as possible for the group that I do their work. I don't know if I should upgrade Open Office or if that will complicate it even more.
Last edited by Flowerloverly on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on MacOs Catalina 10.15.4
robleyd

Re: Cannot see spreadsheets after upgrade?

Post by robleyd »

Please see if the suggestions in [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q15/A15 provide a solution.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Flowerloverly

Cannot see spreadsheets after upgrade?

Post by Flowerloverly »

I thought this was fixed and it did work, but now it is back to exactly the same thing. Excuse me for the all caps but it makes it easy to see my answers
A15: Yes, but on some hardware you may need to set:
•  → System Preferences → Displays → Colors → Apple RGB (or Generic RGB) (you may have to uncheck Show profiles for this display only), or
I do not have apple RGB, but generic RGB was not checked. I tried checking it and unchecking, but nope.
•  → System Preferences → Energy Saver → uncheck Automatic graphics switching, or
That choice does not show up under energy saver
•  → System Preferences → Displays → uncheck Increase contrast → Move slider for Display Contrast all the way to the left.
There was not increase contrast checked and if i moved the display to the left it was totally black and anywhere in-between did not help.

At least i know the information is there, but how do I get to see it? When I first open the spreadsheet, I can see it and then it disappears. I tried to dim and also to brighten the page, but no help.
 Edit: All Caps edited for readability [robleyd - moderator 
Last edited by Flowerloverly on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Does it display correctly if you use the guest account - you may need to see Q28/A28 in the Mac FAQ. If that works, see Q02/A02 to reset your user profile. Otherwise you'll need someone with more FruitCo experience than I.
 Edit: It will be helpful if you mention the model and year of your Mac 
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Flowerloverly

Post by Flowerloverly »

I am using a MacBook Air Mid 2013. I am going to bed and will try the guest account tomorrow. Thank you so much for trying to help. It came back on again and I got some of the information that I needed from it and then I re-saved it hoping that will work. We will see in the morning.
Flowerloverly

Re: SOLVED - Cannot see spreadsheets after upgrade?

Post by Flowerloverly »

It seems changing the display to Generic RGB and checking the box "Show profiles for this display only" might have been the answer. They are all seeable this morning. Thank you so much, David. I am eternally grateful.