Page number offset

Discuss the word processor
dwmc2

Page number offset

Post by dwmc2 »

Two issues: I'm trying to create a book with several parts.

1. The page number offset max is 49. Using 50 as the offset makes the page number disappear.

2. Only displaying the modified page number - but not using it in any index - means I have to combine all parts (hundreds of pages) into one very large document with many sections, which is unwieldy.
 Edit: Split from this topic as the issue appears different 
dwmc2 OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 64
keme
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Page number higher than 1 offset??

Post by keme »

Hello dwmc2.

You have replied to an old issue tagged as "solved". This tag means that there is a solution to the presented problem in the thread. If your issue is the same, one of the suggestions above should help. Did you try to follow the directions? If so, what did you do, what result did you get, and how did that result fail (what did you need)?

If you have a slightly different issue, it is better to open a new thread ( start a new topic).
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Page number higher than 1 offset??

Post by Bill »

Offset is used to find a different page and insert the number of that page in the page number field. It does not change the page number of any page in the document. If you have a 50-page document and insert a page number field on the first page with an offset of 50, that tells Writer to insert the page number of the 51st page in the page number field, but there is no 51st page so the page number field will be blank. The instructions for changing the page number were posted by RoryOF earlier in this thread.
Last edited by Bill on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Page number offset

Post by jrkrideau »

Why are you using a page offset?

@ Keme & Bill
I would have thought that the OP should be simply using different Page Styles and resetting the page numbering as needed.

Admittedly I have never used a page offset in my life but I cannot see the need for one in normal AOO usage.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04