[Solved] Cursor always goes to start of document on opening

Discuss the word processor
TheWanderer2700

[Solved] Cursor always goes to start of document on opening

Post by TheWanderer2700 »

I had to reset Open Office last week as one of the files had become corrupted and all of the words in all of my documents ended up being underlined in red (not the first time this has happened, so fixing it wasn't a problem). What is annoying, though, is that every time I open a document, the starting point is the start of the document, instead of the last place I was typing. Which means I have to remember to highlight a word so I can carry on where I left off.... Before the crash, I could carry on from where I'd left off after saving and re-loading a document.

I've no idea how to fix it so I can do the same again. Any ideas?
Last edited by thomasjk on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Re: Cursor always goes to start of document on opening

Post by RoryOF »

In /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /User data enter your name and initials. OO will then remember where you were last editing a document.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

When you enter the user name info, it has to match what's stored in the document. If they don't match, OO won't restore the last editing position. You can check what's in the document, under File > Properties > General ...

You can manually jump to the last editing position with Shift+F5
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
TheWanderer2700

Post by TheWanderer2700 »

That's fixed it, thanks very much!
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 8.1
alanack

Re: [Solved] Cursor always goes to start of document on open

Post by alanack »

I've had this problem in the past, and solved it using the tips here. But this time it doesn't work. The file is an .odt, my name and initials are there, and they match the document. I also tried removing the personal info, restarting the program, and re-entering it. The document still opens at the top. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may need, in Writer, to use /File /Properties /General tab : Apply User Data.

As who are you logged on to Windows? I think typing "whoami" in a terminal will tell you that.
alanack

Post by alanack »

RoryOF wrote:You may need, in Writer, to use /File /Properties /General tab : Apply User Data.

As who are you logged on to Windows? I think typing "whoami" in a terminal will tell you that.
You sent me to the right place. The Apply User Data box was checked, but I unchecked it, closed the program, and upon reopening it opens at the point last viewed (or last edited). Thanks so much for your help!!
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Perhaps the document was flagged as having been written by someone else, or by you under a slightly different name. Sometimes, in OO's configuration (/Tools /Options) file, settings are sticky for some unknown reason and they can be cleared or set correctly by changing them, closing OO (I would reboot the computer, but that is my preference) then, on next restart setting that item.
alanack

Post by alanack »

Alas, I thought I had fixed the problem, but it persists. I did what was suggested in the above post - changing my username, unchecking the "apply user data" box, restarting the PC, again checking the box and adding the correct info, but the document still opens at the top, not where it was last viewed or edited. Any ideas? Thanks!!
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7
alanack

Post by alanack »

Alas, I thought I had fixed the problem, but it persists. I did what was suggested in the above post - changing my username, unchecking the "apply user data" box, restarting the PC, again checking the box and adding the correct info, but the document still opens at the top, not where it was last viewed or edited. Any ideas? Thanks!!

[I think this post maybe got lost among the others. Thanks for any help!!]
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7
alanack

Post by alanack »

I didn't get a response to the last post, but stayed with it, and found a solution (sort of). Opening a new document from the old (which would not open where last altered) fixed the problem. I was ready for a blank document, but it seems if I had copy and pasted what was in the old to the new the fix would still work. Hope this helps.
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is possible that the original document was written or Saved in .doc format at some time; .doc format often leaves a residue when converted to OpenOffice .odt format that causes strange things.
alanack

Post by alanack »

That's certainly possible. Thanks!
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7