Recovering a corrupted file

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
kingcobra

Recovering a corrupted file

Post by kingcobra »

Dear Moderator,
I am using openoffice very long time, but recently very first time got one calc file corrupted.
I am all the way find the solution to recovered but all in vain. Finally i came to this forum to find
out the solution to recover the file ( size 424kb) Please advice your comments if any, Raj Malaysia

Split from Recovering a corrupted file, Hagar (Moderator).
Apache Open office 4.1.5 / Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Recovering a corrupted file

Post by robleyd »

Please look at my first reply above. There are questions asked which will help identify the type of problem you have.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
kingcobra

Post by kingcobra »

Dear Moderator,
Thanks for your prompt reply. Unfortunately don't know exactly the type of problem, but badly need the file. Is it any software avail for repair and recover the file? Already i am try one software of Kernal for calc, but failed. Please advice your comments, if any other application for suitable to repair and recover the .ods file.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Believe us, there will be nothing in your file of ### marks. Your best path is to try to find some of the temporary files MS Windows uses.
See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files

This tutorial also applies to Calc files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

don't know exactly the type of problem
What makes you think the file is corrupt? Do you get an error message when opening it; or do you get an ASCII Filter dialog? If it is the ASCII dialog nad the file opens with no useful content, RoryOF has answered your question.

If you get something like Format error discovered in sub-document there is a different solution, which I mentioned above.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
kingcobra

Post by kingcobra »

Dear Bro,
Wow... Exactly you find my problem that when i am trying to open the calc file it's go to ASCII dialog box, then i click ok that will open as writer file with all text in unknown fonts style. Hope you may little understand my exact file problem? please follow from here your advice. Tks again,
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Read the tutorial to which I pointed. The actual file you have is damaged beyond recovery and contains no, repeat NO, useful information.
kingcobra

Post by kingcobra »

You mean to say Once "ASCII Filter dialog" problem will not able to repair and recovery at any cost even buy and use payable software ? That means totally forget the file and it's contents right. Oh God.. Very pity to hear from you this sad news.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Read the tutorial for some possible means of recovering some data. Do what it suggests as soon as possible.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

kingcobra wrote:You mean to say Once "ASCII Filter dialog" problem will not able to repair and recovery at any cost even buy and use payable software ? That means totally forget the file and it's contents right. Oh God.. Very pity to hear from you this sad news.
And you didn't make backups? tut tut tut.
kingcobra

Post by kingcobra »

Yes dude, i am not backup and got bad lesson from now. Anyhow i lost hope and going to delete the file and forget the whole issue. Thanks for your kind effort to take care me. Raj
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

c) how to un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.