File Recovery

Discuss the word processor
T1o9n8i1

File Recovery

Post by T1o9n8i1 »

My version of Open Office Writer (4.1.1) kept crashing on me when I was working on a HUGE file for work...about 200 pages. I decided to "shrink" it down (make it several smaller documents) to see if that would work. I was able to do that with no problem...then it crashed on me while I was updating one of the smaller files (was supposed to add a few things tonight). I opened the file up (recovered because the program crashed)...but when I went to save it, the folder it was saved in (that I had just created tonight since one file turned into multiple!)...was gone. I lost a document over 200 pages for work...in a matter of seconds because the program "crashed." I can't even find a "trash" option or "deleted" option to see if any of the smaller files are still on my computer anywhere. I've looked in the program, and on my computer itself. Is there a way to recover a document that was saved...WITH a password?!
I have the Open Office Writer (4.1.1) on a Dell Laptop.
robleyd

Re: File Recovery

Post by robleyd »

I assume you don't have a series of regular backups, or you could use them to recover. See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files

For future peace of mind consider installing and using the Time stamped backup extension.

You don't mention what OS you are using; if it is Windows 10, see if the suggestions in this topic which was raised recently provide a solution to the issue of crashing. Do this AFTER you attempt to recover files..
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

T1o9n8i1 wrote:...but when I went to save it, the folder it was saved in (that I had just created tonight since one file turned into multiple!)...was gone.
That's not good. Is write caching enabled on the hard drive? While that option is supposed to increase performance, it delays the writing of data to the hd and data can be lost if the computer crashes or there is a power failure.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

c) how to un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A remark: 200 pages is not a "huge" file - I often edit files of 1000/2000 page with no problems using OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS