[Solved] Formulae for dummies?

Discuss the formula editor
sonhouse1

[Solved] Formulae for dummies?

Post by sonhouse1 »

Is there a formula for dummies? I entered a simple formula but don't see how to enter square root for instance, not sure where symbols are located, there was a box that popped up but didn't have regular symbology, square root, 1/x and such.
Also how do you solve for a problem, didn't see that or how to enter variables. Can I in fact actually solve equations? Sorry, I just came across this formula thing and know pretty much zero about it. Thanks for any replies.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7
FJCC

Re: Formulae for dummies?

Post by FJCC »

The Math application is for displaying formulas not for solving them. You would use it if you were writing a paper or presentation that needs to include formulas. There is user's guide for it but I suspect it isn't the tool you were looking for.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
sonhouse1

Post by sonhouse1 »

I suspected as much since I could write a formula but no hint of solve. Thanks for the reply!
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

The square root operation is in the "functions" category of the toolbox. I find it faster to type "sqrt" instead of clicking an icon. Whatever works for you...

If you need a tool for solving algebra problems, take a look at Geogebra. It integrates arithmetic, statistics, geometry and algebra tools in a single package.