How to change the input language in OpenOffice Writer on W7

Forum rules
No question in this section please
For any question related to a topic, create a new thread in the relevant section.
Namyo85

How to change the input language in OpenOffice Writer on W7

Post by Namyo85 »

This tutorial is for beginners on how to change the language in Apache Writer. It focuses on changing the language in realtime as you are typing, which is especially useful if you want to create a dual language document. Note: This is specifically for Windows 7.

Important!: Your chosen language needs to be active within the Windows 7 OS, so here's how to make that happen:

You don't have to do this first step but it makes things easier and you always have quick access to the languages settings.

First create a shortcut to the 'Keyboards and Languages' setting in the control panel, this is explained on this forum:
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5 ... reate.html (right click link and open in new tab to keep this page open!)

To simplify, my approach was: right click on desktop, select 'New' > 'Shorcut'. Paste the following into the shortcut:
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL intl.cpl,,2

Give the shortcut a new name, I simply named it 'Languages'. You could always give it another name like 'Albert' but Languages seems more apt.

Now you have a nice new shortcut on the desktop called Languages. Double click it, the 'change keyboard' button is where the magic happens. 8-)

Now to find out how to add the new language, go here:
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-cha ... t-language (again, right click link and open in new tab to keep this page open!)

Follow the instructions and you will have a nice new language installed... That's it!

I have my language bar set to 'hidden' and simply use the keyboard shortcut 'Alt + Left Shift'.
(Hold down Alt and press Left Shift while Alt is still pressed. Yep, this really is for very beginners. :ugeek: )

In Open office writer pressing the 'Alt + Left Shift' changes the language in realtime, it's brilliant! and it's that simple. I found I didn't even have to change any settings in the 'Tools' > 'Language' menu within Apache Writer.

The only thing I don't know is if it's necessary or not to install the required language and dictionary packs in Writer beforehand. :!:
I already did this before working out the above so I wouldn't know. I imagine it probably helps. :?:

I hope this tutorial works for whoever needs it, and if there's anything that needs changing or adding let me know. 8-)
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: How to change the input language in Open Office Writer o

Post by RusselB »

Thanks for the detailed tutorial.
While I haven't taken the time to analyze the entire thing on a step by step basis, it looks completely correct and what I have done myself in relation to the topic of this tutorial matches.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Namyo85

Re: How to change the input language in OpenOffice Writer on

Post by Namyo85 »

Thanks for checking it out.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7