[Solved] Microsoft interfering?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
writerman

[Solved] Microsoft interfering?

Post by writerman »

I had problems with my Microsoft Office 2011 software. To resolve the problem Microsoft needed access to my computer which I granted. Since then I have not been able to access my Open Office suite so I binned it and started again. Now I cannot even download Open Office. Anyone else had this problem?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.5 on Apple 10.13.6
RusselB

Re: Microsoft interfering?

Post by RusselB »

This has been reported many times, and isn't a Microsoft issue, but is an Apple issue.
The Apple Gatekeeper program is what is preventing you from downloading.
You need to change the settings (I don't use an Apple computer, so I don't know what or how) to the Gatekeeper program so that is allows the installation from non Apple sites (or however they term it... you'll have to use some common sense).
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
writerman wrote:Now I cannot even download Open Office.
You will need to be more specific about exactly why you "cannot download Open Office". Downloading software is performed with MacOS. If you are having trouble with MacOS, perhaps you should contact Apple or consult one of the forums for Apple software.

As a start, read [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q03/A03 and Q05/A05. If those don't seem to apply to your situation, review the other solutions in that tutorial. Otherwise search for similar topics in this forum using the Search This Forum box. Currently you are the only person who knows the symptoms you're experiencing.
RusselB wrote:The Apple Gatekeeper program is what is preventing you from downloading.
No, Gatekeeper prevents one from running the new software, but it doesn't prevent downloading or installing the software. Details for dealing with Gatekeeper, and many other Mac-specific situations are in Mac FAQ.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

writerman wrote: Microsoft needed access to my computer which I granted. Since then I have not been able to access my Open Office suite
Probably all that happened was Microsoft gave MS Office all its default file settings ... which includes .odt files, so clicking a .odt file opens it with MS Word.

When you install AOO you need to give AOO all its default files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
writerman

Post by writerman »

Thanks everybody. I thought this was a bit odd as I never had any problems downloading or using the programme until after the remote installation of Office. I'l check out all of your suggestions and see if I can fix it. It's a bit annoying because the Open Office word programme is so much better than the Microsoft programme. If I fail to download or run AOO it I'll be back for more advice.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Apple 10.13.6