[Solved] Problems trying to open old .ppt file using Impress

Discuss the presentation application
ChrisRH46

[Solved] Problems trying to open old .ppt file using Impress

Post by ChrisRH46 »

Using Open Office 4.1.3, W7 64-bit

When trying to open an old .ppt file using Impress (which I've never used before), I'm offered a ASCII Filter Options window, which I'm not sure how to edit/use. By accepting the defaults I'm then shown screens full of code, rather than anything like the original file - which was a single page with a block diagram with boxes, lines, arowheads and of course text. Please can anyone suggest how I may get the original page back, and then be able to edit it, say as a .odp ?

I don't know which version of Powerpoint was used to create and save the original, but it was possibly from the mid '1990s. I've also tried opening it with the oldest version of Powerpoint I still have (which is dated 2000) on an older PC, and that gives me a "can't open the file" type of error message, so maybe the file is corrupted anyway. I see from googling that Microsoft's Powerpoint Viewer was discontinued earlier this year, so that door is now closed too.
Last edited by robleyd on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
Chris
OpenOffice 4.0.1
Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Problems when trying to open an old .ppt file using Impr

Post by RoryOF »

The ASCII filter options message usually means the file is damaged; don't waste any time fiddling with different ASCII options - they won't work. If it is an old file, as you say, it may suffer from bit decay on an old hard drive, or perhaps some error in the various transfer processes used to bring it forward from the antique computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ChrisRH46

Post by ChrisRH46 »

Many Thanks RoryOF - that advice has saved me endless hours.
Since writing I've been chasing through archives to find an earlier backup of said file in case the latest copy is corrupted, and SUCCESS ! I now have an older but still very useful uncorrupted copy, opened in Impress, and saved as an .odp.
I'm happy to mark this thread Solved.
Best wishes (from another AAMilne evengelist) ChrisRH46
Chris
OpenOffice 4.0.1
Windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A .ppt file is a ZIP file, but getting the ASCII filter option means the file being opened is not a ZIP file. The file is therefore either not a .ppt file or is corrupted.

Upload it for it to be analysed.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.