[Solved] Photos disappearing

Discuss the presentation application

[Solved] Photos disappearing

Postby mwalters400 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:18 pm

This is my first use of OpenOffice Impress for a presentation to my garden club. Everything seems to work fine when I'm creating the presentation with lots of photos. But when I save the presentation and then return to it later, all the photos are gone and are replaced with the same icon that appears in the "import from file" menu option. I would really appreciate any help getting the resolved. I did get an error message at one point when I was loading an image from a file. The error was "image filter not found", This happened after I had successfully loaded many other photos. Thanks again for any help.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
mwalters400

Re: photos disappearing

Postby RoryOF » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:25 pm

Firstly, make your presentation in .odp format - use your own laptop with installed OpenOffice or a USB stick with a portable version of OpenOffice for the actual presentation.

To avoid loss of pictures, in Oo use /Tools /Options /Load-Save : General tab, and uncheck (turn off) "Save AutoRecovery information every ..."
It will now be your responsibility to regularly Save your file in progress of construction (Ctrl S does this).

When you close OO and the computer, allow a few extra seconds for all disk activity to cease before powering off or closing laptop lid. Do nt let computer sleep with the file open.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby mwalters400 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:15 pm

Rory, Thanks so much for your very prompt response. I am using .odp format, but I was allowing autorecovery, even though I was saving the document every few slides. Will try your suggestions. Thanks again.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
mwalters400

Postby mwalters400 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:55 pm

Wow! Tried this and it worked. I'm saving after every slide and, so far, everything photo is persisting. Thanks. Apparently the key was turning off the auto save function.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
mwalters400

Re: [Solved] Photos disappearing

Postby John_Ha » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:13 pm

Unfortunately there does appear to be a problem with AOO and image handling and you may still lose images even with AutoSa\ve switched off.

Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Always create a backup copy ..., protects you further. If you are editing fred.odp, and you see images disappear, save the file as bill.odp, and close AOO. fred.odp and fred.bak will now be as fred.odp was when you opened it. You might have a lot of today's work saved in bill.odp.

Be sure to give each image its own, separate anchor. If you anchor more than one image on the same anchor images overlap, overlay and easily get lost. See the Tutorial below.

Search the forum with image or lost images for more information.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Impress