[Solved] Photos disappearing

Discuss the presentation application
mwalters400

[Solved] Photos disappearing

Post by mwalters400 »

This is my first use of OpenOffice Impress for a presentation to my garden club. Everything seems to work fine when I'm creating the presentation with lots of photos. But when I save the presentation and then return to it later, all the photos are gone and are replaced with the same icon that appears in the "import from file" menu option. I would really appreciate any help getting the resolved. I did get an error message at one point when I was loading an image from a file. The error was "image filter not found", This happened after I had successfully loaded many other photos. Thanks again for any help.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: photos disappearing

Post by RoryOF »

Firstly, make your presentation in .odp format - use your own laptop with installed OpenOffice or a USB stick with a portable version of OpenOffice for the actual presentation.

To avoid loss of pictures, in Oo use /Tools /Options /Load-Save : General tab, and uncheck (turn off) "Save AutoRecovery information every ..."
It will now be your responsibility to regularly Save your file in progress of construction (Ctrl S does this).

When you close OO and the computer, allow a few extra seconds for all disk activity to cease before powering off or closing laptop lid. Do nt let computer sleep with the file open.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mwalters400

Post by mwalters400 »

Rory, Thanks so much for your very prompt response. I am using .odp format, but I was allowing autorecovery, even though I was saving the document every few slides. Will try your suggestions. Thanks again.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
mwalters400

Post by mwalters400 »

Wow! Tried this and it worked. I'm saving after every slide and, so far, everything photo is persisting. Thanks. Apparently the key was turning off the auto save function.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Photos disappearing

Post by John_Ha »

Unfortunately there does appear to be a problem with AOO and image handling and you may still lose images even with AutoSa\ve switched off.

Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Always create a backup copy ..., protects you further. If you are editing fred.odp, and you see images disappear, save the file as bill.odp, and close AOO. fred.odp and fred.bak will now be as fred.odp was when you opened it. You might have a lot of today's work saved in bill.odp.

Be sure to give each image its own, separate anchor. If you anchor more than one image on the same anchor images overlap, overlay and easily get lost. See the Tutorial below.

Search the forum with image or lost images for more information.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
designomoly

Post by designomoly »

The slide show in impress. in the left hand side bar the pictures are blank. in the slide show the pictures are blank. using the help with getting the image sizes right, I shrank then by half. same thing. shrank them again (now 1/4) the size. same thing, blank in side bar, blank in slide show, only visible in the working window, but now in the working window with the individual slides its tiling the image. The smaller i make the file, the more tiles it makes. Main thing is I want the slide show to work (sound of ripping as hair comes out by the roots) I'd like to send a screen shot but uploading images is not working.
OpenOffice 4.1.0
Windows 10 pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Read the Impress Guide and you will learn how to use Impress. Uploaded files must be less than 128 kBytes.

You will find much useful information in the User Guides and the AOO Frequently Asked Questions. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
designomoly

Post by designomoly »

Thank you so much for your contribution John. I appreciate the trouble you've been to.

This disappearing images thing is an old bug that was supposed to be eliminated in a previous version of Impress. I've used the user's guide, and followed it carefully. I've looked at all the FAQ's and about 5 threads on the disappearing pictures on this forum. PLEASE. If there is anyone out there who has experience of the disappearing pictures and has fixed it, please please get in touch. There was a fix posted on one thread but it was so vaguely expressed I couldn't work out what they meant. My presentation is in a couple of days and I'm going to have to recreate everything in Powerpoint on a dodgy old computer in my cupboard, and hope it doesn't pack up on the day.

Caroline
OpenOffice 4.1.0
Windows 10 pro
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I repeat my previous posting, which works for me:
Firstly, make your presentation in .odp format - use your own laptop with installed OpenOffice or a USB stick with a portable version of OpenOffice for the actual presentation.

To avoid loss of pictures, in Oo use /Tools /Options /Load-Save : General tab, and uncheck (turn off) "Save AutoRecovery information every ..."
It will now be your responsibility to regularly Save your file in progress of construction (Ctrl S does this).

When you close OO and the computer, allow a few extra seconds for all disk activity to cease before powering off or closing laptop lid. Do nt let computer sleep with the file open.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

designomoly wrote:Thank you so much for your contribution John. I appreciate the trouble you've been to.
You sarcasm is unwarranted. It is quite clear from your posts that you have not grasped the basics of using Impress and that you are not following the advice you are being given. Reading the manual is the best advice you can be given.
designomoly wrote:This disappearing images thing is an old bug that was supposed to be eliminated in a previous version of Impress.
Not in AOO nor LO.

It has probably been fixed in the current version of LO as you would have found out had you bothered to read 16. Lost images ... and a word of caution about using AutoRecovery. LibreOffice 6.1 may now be better than AOO in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images which I posted in the post immediately above yours.
designomoly wrote: If there is anyone out there who has experience of the disappearing pictures and has fixed it, please please get in touch.
I do. I have conducted many tests. I have reported it as a bug. I have posted in many threads and analysed many files files. I have included what I found in the Tutorial on images which I wrote.

Read 16. Lost images ... and a word of caution about using AutoRecovery. LibreOffice 6.1 may now be better than AOO in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images which I posted in the post immediately above yours.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The method I outlined also works; whether it is specific to OO on linux I cannot say - I hope not. My memory from 2008 is that it worked then on Windows XP.
designomoly

Post by designomoly »

John, you are obviously paid to do this, and you dabble around all day doing nothing else. You are paid to read the whole manual. If you were an empathic type, which you don't seem to be, you would be able to see your own privilege in this regard and feel a bit less superior and be a bit less snarky. As a representative of Open Office, your behavior is not helpful and very unprofessional. It needs to be said. Perhaps you will learn from this to just be a nicer person. I have wasted well over a day on something that Powerpoint does without a problem. Who is the doos reallty ?
OpenOffice 4.1.0
Windows 10 pro
designomoly

Post by designomoly »

you may have time to read the whole manual scouring it for things which are placed so no one can find them. It is a long long manual. I search the contents for an appropriate topic, like uploading picrtures, or how to set up a presentation. The information is not useful for solving my problem. If you actually read my letter you would see that I followed the user manual religiously. But for trouble shooting the manual has very little useful information, so you found it buried somewhere, do you have nothing else to do but read app manuals ? I do not have the time to read the whole manual because making the presentation is a tiny tiny tiny part of my to do list. Comparing Impress to the way powerpoint works in terms of user friendliness, Impress does not Impress. If people cannot produce user friendly apps these days they should find another job.
OpenOffice 4.1.0
Windows 10 pro
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

designomoly wrote:John, you are obviously paid to do this, and you dabble around all day doing nothing else. You are paid to read the whole manual. If you were an empathic type, which you don't seem to be, you would be able to see your own privilege in this regard and feel a bit less superior and be a bit less snarky. As a representative of Open Office, your behavior is not helpful and very unprofessional. It needs to be said. Perhaps you will learn from this to just be a nicer person. I have wasted well over a day on something that Powerpoint does without a problem. Who is the doos reallty ?
You are grossly mistaken!

John_Ha, like myself, gives of his time on a pro bono basis. Neither of us is employed by OpenOffice, which is a volunteer supported project. We, neither of us, read manuals for others. If you are not prepared to take advice, don't ask for it, and don't waste the time of those who are prepared to offer it. Both John_Ha and I (and other forum volunteers) have other things to do.

If Powerpoint works as you wish, why not use it?