Recovering a corrupted file

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Recovering a corrupted file

Postby BuckyBuck » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi!

I was in a middle of writing a long essay and when i was about to click save, my computer shut down. The file got corrupted, autobackup was not on, i can't find any temp files, even with recurva. The only file i found was in its original location but that ones also seems to be corrupted. I tried all the methods in the recovery thread, but i ask of you, if any of you could help me out. I'm desperate.

Thanks to anyone willing to help!
Attachments
IV K 54698-2017_Bajramović in Skoko_sodba recurva.odt
corrupted file found with recurva
(121.74 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
IV K 54698-2017_Bajramović in Skoko_sodba.odt
corrupted file 1
(121.54 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Open office version 4.2.1
BuckyBuck

Re: Recovering a corrupted file

Postby RoryOF » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Both utterly corrupt as OO files - random computer memory garbage in both.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: Recovering a corrupted file

Postby John_Ha » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:45 am

Your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

c) how to un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting