[Solved] General input output error opening MS Publisher doc

Talk about anything at all....
desdichato

[Solved] General input output error opening MS Publisher doc

Post by desdichato »

Hi Guys,

Earlier this evening I got an email with 6 MS Publisher attachments, usually I have no issues with the MS/OO change over but in this instance I get a general input output error with everything I have tried and for the life of me I cannot see what I am missing.

I'm on a win 10 (64bit) machine with OO 4.1.5

Any thoughts

Thanks
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved; Edited title, was: Publisher; Moved to General Discussion
OOo 4.1.3 on 8.1
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: PUBLISHER

Post by Lupp »

Please read first viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24607.

(LibreOffice should have an import filter for Publisher files since - at latest - Version 4.0.
I never had an opportunity to test it. You may try it with the help of a Portable LibreOffice to not endanger your AOO install.)
Last edited by Lupp on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
RoryOF

Re: PUBLISHER

Post by RoryOF »

You need to Save the files attached to the email to the local hard drive before attempting to open them. If they do not open correctly, try the online conversion service at http://www.zamzar.com
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
desdichato

Re: Publisher

Post by desdichato »

Thank you guys for your quick responces, however my friend who sent the email must have realised something was wrong because he sent them again as jpeg and they worked this time.
Thanks again for the help.
OOo 4.1.3 on 8.1
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: Publisher

Post by Lupp »

desdichato wrote:Thank you guys for your quick responces, however my friend who sent the email must have realised something was wrong because he sent them again as jpeg and they worked this time.
Thanks again for the help.
Congratulations!
However, this is a solution for your specific problem to access the information your friend wanted to send to you. It's not a solution concerning the topic: You still did not open the publisher files with AOO. Since other users cannot ask your friend to resend them the contents of their publisher files in jpeg, the topic might better not be marked "[Solved]" as long as not someone reported success with one (or both) of the suggestions by RoryOF and by myself. Since you actually have publisher files for testing, you might be the one to help the community with testing and reporting results. (Forums are not one-way.)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München