Overlay text on photo

Discuss the drawing application
JR Farms

Overlay text on photo

Post by JR Farms »

How do I overlay text on to a file photo? Thanks!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows XP
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Overlay text on photo

Post by John_Ha »

Edit: Deleted - post incorrect 
Last edited by John_Ha on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

JR Farms wrote:How do I overlay text on to a file photo? Thanks!
In Draw, the fastest is to double click or press enter while the photo is selected. You then get a text cursor in the middle of your pictyre, to type your text.
Right click the photo and select Text... to make rough adjustments to text position and behavior.

For more flexibility, create a separate text object and put it on top of the photo. You can group text and photo to make them behave as one single object.
dreamquartz

Post by dreamquartz »

One method I prefer to use is add a layer on top of the picture (Insert->Layer). Give the layer a logical name like "text". The name of the layer will show below the page as a tab. Make sure you are on the layer and you can add any type of text you want.

Dream
LO 7.x, HSQLDB 2.7.x & Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

dreamquartz wrote:One method I prefer to use is add a layer on top of the picture (Insert->Layer). Give the layer a logical name like "text". The name of the layer will show below the page as a tab. Make sure you are on the layer and you can add any type of text you want.

Dream
Note that Draw is not a good tool for fine graphics work. In OpenOffice Draw, the ordering of layers have nothing to do with stacking order of drawn/inserted objects or how the objects interact. The layers component is only a convenient way to logically group/classify objects.