[Solved] Specific document crashes OpenOffice

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Demura

[Solved] Specific document crashes OpenOffice

Post by Demura »

Hi

I've been having this problem for the last few days. I'm trying to open a document but every time I try to open it, regardless of whether I'm double clicking the file or opening it from the menu, the program just closes itself. There are no error messages or anything at all, the file just starts to open and then it just closes itself. The file was made with OpenOffice and is a .odt file. It's only 3 pages long and has worked fine until now. OpenOffice opens any other file perfectly fine, just not that specific one. I've tried repairing, uninstalling and reinstalling and of course restarting my pc. I updated to the latest version but the problem persists. I'm not sure what else I can do here, I need that document.

I appreciate any help I can get in solving this issue, thank you in advance.
Last edited by Demura on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Specific document crashes OpenOffice

Post by FJCC »

If the document is not confidential, please post it here. To do that, click Post Reply then look for the Upload Attachment tab just below the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Demura

Post by Demura »

I hope this works. Not confidential but slightly personal I suppose, it's very important to me.
Attachments
Shiny.odt
(20.66 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It opened for me; I then saved as under a different name and the file reduced noticeably in size. See if the new file works for you.
Shiny2.odt
(15.25 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Heavily edited files appear to get "tangled". The fix is to create a new, empty text document and go Insert > File ..., and pull in the old document. This removes the tangles.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Demura

Post by Demura »

It works!! Both the new file as well as inserting a file into a new document!
Thank you so so much for the help, I'm saved!!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Specific document crashes OpenOffice

Post by John_Ha »

It appears to have been a problem with the paragraph styles P11, P12 and P13 in content.xml where the before and after XML are as shown below.
before.gif
after.gif
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.