[Solved] OpenOffice quit unexpectedly on MacBook

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
BobJames40

[Solved] OpenOffice quit unexpectedly on MacBook

Post by BobJames40 »

When I click to open a file the icon appears for a few seconds and then disappears. The message in the Subject line then appears. None of my files will open, although I have used them all successfully in the past, although I don't use them very often, so it is difficult to say when the trouble started or if it coincided with an Apple software update. My MacBook is running macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and I have the latest version of OpenOffice 4.1.5. I have tried some of the tips in the general help area, but none make a difference. Any ideas, please.

SOLVED> I tried all sorts, such as rebooting, deleting OpenOffice and downloading again, asking Apple (not much help). In the end I tried logging on as a Guest User (this proved a bit tricky, but I eventually succeeded) and this really works!!!! It's annoying to have to do this to access my files, but there you are.

Just for interest I tried downloading LibreOffice and this works when I log on as Administrator. So I now have two ways to see my files.
Last edited by BobJames40 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice quit unexpectedly on MacBook

Post by John_Ha »

1. Reboot.

2. You say "The message in the Subject line then appears." That has nothing to do with AOO - it is more like an email.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
BobJames40

Post by BobJames40 »

I mean that the message I put in my first post about OpenOffice quitting unexpectedly appears as a new box saying that a report will be sent to Apple.
How do you reboot?
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
BobJames40 wrote:How do you reboot?
Turn your computer off. Turn it on again. Consult Apple's documentation for those procedures.
BobJames40 wrote:None of my files will open, although I have used them all successfully in the past,
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q15/A15 and Q02/A02
You could check to see if the files open then you start Open Office from the dock and open the document with Open Office (not from Finder).

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
BobJames40

Post by BobJames40 »

Tried switching off and on but made no difference. Cannot open from Dock as the icon only stays for a few seconds.
caevan

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice quit unexpectedly on MacBook

Post by caevan »

I had them same issue, deleting the user profile made no difference.
I was running Android Studio at the same time.
Quitting Android Studio made all the difference. OpenOffice started without issue.
Possibly something to do with both being Java applications
OpenOffice 4.1.5 macOS High Sierra
rupertfox

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice quit unexpectedly on MacBook

Post by rupertfox »

I was also having this problem and couldn't get any of the solutions suggested to work. However I tried to relaunch open office (via an exiting document, launchpad, list of applications) I always got an instant crash "Open Office quit unexpectedly..." and the user profile would not be recreated. I wasn't running any other Java based applications that I know of but in the end the only way I could get Open Office to launch and create the new profile was to quit every single thing apart from Finder...
OSX 10 El Capitan 10.11.6 Open Office 4.1