[Solved] OpenOffice and LibreOffice Setup on Ubuntu 18.04

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
tbogg

[Solved] OpenOffice and LibreOffice Setup on Ubuntu 18.04

Post by tbogg »

I setup OpenOffice following the directions. Purging LibreOffice but OpenOffice would not open so I tried to go back to LibreOffice and now I'm stuck in a vicious cycle.

Any help on how to clean this up and get on or the other running on Ubuntu 18.04 would be greatly appreciated.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libreoffice-core : Depends: libreoffice-common (> 1:6.0.3) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-java-common : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-ogltrans : Depends: libreoffice-common but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-report-builder : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-script-provider-bsh : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-script-provider-js : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-script-provider-python : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-style-galaxy : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-style-tango : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.5 on Ubuntu 18.04
Hagar Delest

Re: OpenOffice and LibreOffice Setup on Ubuntu 18.04

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Have you tried the command lines in: [Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux?
Have you tried the apt fix command?
You can use Synaptic to make sure there is no remaining package linked to AOO or LibO.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try

Code: Select all

sudo apt --fix-broken install 
in a command prompt.

Then

sudo apt purge libreoffice* 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
tbogg

Post by tbogg »

I have tried these and get the following messages:

--fix-broken returns and I can't get the openoffice-debian-menus uninstalled

Unpacking libreoffice-common (1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libreoffice-common_1%3a6.0.3-0ubuntu1_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice', which is also in package openoffice-debian-menus 4.1.5-9789
rmdir: failed to remove '/var/lib/libreoffice/share/prereg/': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove '/var/lib/libreoffice/share/': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove '/var/lib/libreoffice/program/': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove '/var/lib/libreoffice': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove '/var/lib/libreoffice': No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libreoffice-common_1%3a6.0.3-0ubuntu1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

purge returns:

E: Unable to locate package libreoffice-common_1%3a6.0.3-0ubuntu1_all.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libreoffice-common_1%3a6.0.3-0ubuntu1_all.deb'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libreoffice-common_1%3a6.0.3-0ubuntu1_all.deb'
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If it can't find the package it doesn't need to purge it. The error message is probably because it can't find the package.

I installed OO on an Xubuntu 18.04.1 machine the other day. I may have needed to install OO twice, the second install overwriting something that it had complained about the first time - to be honest, I don't remember exactly - I do these things on autopilot.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

With Synaptic you can search for the packages, it may find one that was left by the process. Once spotted, it may be easier to remove it.
tbogg

Post by tbogg »

I can't install Synaptic due to the same error messages.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you try sudo apt-get remove openoffice-debian-menus, what does it return?
tbogg

Post by tbogg »

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libreoffice-core : Depends: libreoffice-common (> 1:6.0.3) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-java-common : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-ogltrans : Depends: libreoffice-common but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-report-builder : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-script-provider-bsh : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-script-provider-js : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-script-provider-python : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-style-galaxy : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
libreoffice-style-tango : Depends: libreoffice-common (= 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, catch 22 situation...
No idea. Perhaps there are tutos on the net to remove packages by brute force.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Hagar Delest wrote:Well, catch 22 situation...
No idea. Perhaps there are tutos on the net to remove packages by brute force.
That's the -f switch. And it is a true catch 22 because the -f switch also leads to situations like this (enforce changes and don't care about dependencies).

I would try to install the missing packages which belong to the LibreOffice of the distribution. Currently I'm using that one. It works fine for me.
In parallel I have OpenOffice 4.1.5 installed without the desktop-integration package.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
tbogg

Post by tbogg »

Yeah I've tried to look, I think my main problem is I need to be able to undo the dependency on this folder by OpenOffice:

trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice', which is also in package openoffice-debian-menus 4.1.5-9789

But I haven't been able to fine anything on how to uninstall the menus or anything. It really is a catch 22 and has all other installs blocked. I hate to have to format the machine.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I had both AOO and LO successfully installed on Ubuntu Mate 18.04. I purged LO then reinstalled LO and had the same error messages. The problem does seem to be caused by the openoffice-debian-menus package, but the apt-get command recommended by Hagar didn't remove the package.

I used

sudo dpkg -P openoffice-debian-menus
to remove the package, then

to fix the LO installation. LO now appears on the menu and starts normally, but AOO is no longer on the menu.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
tbogg

Post by tbogg »

Thank you that was the fix.
ntala

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice and LibreOffice Setup on Ubuntu 18.0

Post by ntala »

Bill wrote:I had both AOO and LO successfully installed on Ubuntu Mate 18.04. I purged LO then reinstalled LO and had the same error messages. The problem does seem to be caused by the openoffice-debian-menus package, but the apt-get command recommended by Hagar didn't remove the package.

I used

to fix the LO installation. LO now appears on the menu and starts normally, but AOO is no longer on the menu.
man, I was this close to throw the fk computer against the wall.
thank you
I'm signing up only to say thanks to a guy because he helped me fixing a fucking libreoffice problem
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
adunbar

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice and LibreOffice Setup on Ubuntu 18.0

Post by adunbar »

ntala wrote:
Bill wrote:I had both AOO and LO successfully installed on Ubuntu Mate 18.04. I purged LO then reinstalled LO and had the same error messages. The problem does seem to be caused by the openoffice-debian-menus package, but the apt-get command recommended by Hagar didn't remove the package.

I used

man, I was this close to throw the fk computer against the wall.
thank you
Thank you so much! I have been trying to resolve this for months.This post should be at the No 1 position on google search for this problem!
OpenOffice 4.17 on Debian 10