Time (Calc)

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ETobias

Time (Calc)

Post by ETobias »

One function that I think is missing in spreadsheets, and not just in OpenOffice, is the ability to calculate time that is in a "stopwatch" format. It does get messy in doing manual calculations. To me it seems that it would be a great enhancement.
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP + Windows 2000
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Time (Calc)

Post by Zizi64 »

a "stopwatch" format.
I do not know what is it the "stopwatch" format exactly, but I suppose it, you want see the tenth and the hundredth and the thousandths of the seconds in the cell.
Try to use this format code in the applied cell style:
YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS,000

or
for time only:
[HH]:MM:SS,000

The second format code will show the "days", "months" and "years" in "hours" unit.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

The colon separated formats should be reserved for TOD (TimeOfDay).

Appropriate formats for durations are (selected examples):

Code: Select all

[S]" s"
[S].00" s"
[M]" min "SS.00" s"
[M]" min "SS" s"
[H]" h"MM" min"SS" s"
and many more.

Since all the time formats primarily are shaped for TOD, they unchangeably display values rounded-DOWN based on the resolution given by the specific format code.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
ETobias

Post by ETobias »

Isn't everything listed above related to time of day? I want to do some calculations related to race times (running). I am able to get around it by manual calculations, i.e., trunc (to determine minutes), (D1-trunc(D1))*60 (to determine seconds). This works but it would be nice to have something easier and more elegant.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The date-time values are floating point numbers in the spreadsheet softwares. The integer part represents thhe numbers of the days since the base date. The LO and AOO can handle three different base date. See them in the settings. The decimal fraction part represents the time value inside a day. Read: 0.5 = half day = 12:00:00.000
You can get the difference of two date-time values by substracting the start value from the end value. Then you can format the result (the difference) as is is described above.

Or you can calculate (multiply by 60; and 60; ) for the results in smaller units.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

ETobias wrote:Isn't everything listed above related to time of day? I want to do some calculations related to race times (running). I am able to get around it by manual calculations, i.e., trunc (to determine minutes), (D1-trunc(D1))*60 (to determine seconds). This works but it would be nice to have something easier and more elegant.

Built-in support for the traditional ways of giving time values in mixed units is only available for the formatted display and for entering values in the colon-separated way with an indispensable hours-part like in

Code: Select all

0:2:13.605 for a time of 2 min 13.605 s
e.g.
The floatingpoint number used to represent such a value is always based on the unit d (day) which is the worst choice for durations, mainly because many countries forced days of 23 h or 25 h to occur legally.

Yes. That's clearly related to TOD.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
ETobias

Post by ETobias »

As an example, T2=T1*((D2/D1)^1.06) Where T1 and T2 are times in minutes and seconds and D1 and D2 are distances. I was able to do it by entering the minutes and second in separate cells and do the calculations. It just seems that it should be an easier way.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

As an example, T2=T1*((D2/D1)^1.06) Where T1 and T2 are times in minutes and seconds and D1 and D2 are distances. I was able to do it by entering the minutes and second in separate cells and do the calculations. It just seems that it should be an easier way.
Please upload your real sample file (in ODF format) here.

You signature is:
Please update it.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Here is a very simple example of displaying times as hours, minutes, seconds and thousandths of seconds and calculating the difference. The cells are simply formatted as [HH]:MM:SS.000 - the decimal point being relevant for my locale; your locale may require a comma.

You can then adapt the format to display as Lupp suggests; you will still be able to calculate based on the underlying floating point value in which Calc stores the data you enter.
Attachments
part_seconds.ods
(8.45 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers