How to make group mailing lists. Widows 10

Talk about anything at all....
johnbmatz

How to make group mailing lists. Widows 10

Post by johnbmatz »

I wish to make up a one click e-mail list for members of my ski group to send out group announcements. Any help is appreciated.
Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 10
FJCC

Re: How to make group mailing lists. Widows 10

Post by FJCC »

This question doesn't seem to have any connection to OpenOffice.There is no email software in the suite. Can you explain what role you want OpenOffice to fulfill?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
johnbmatz

Post by johnbmatz »

I thought that Open Office 4.1.5 might have a method of making lists since apparently you need Microsoft 365 to accomplish list making. I don't wish to purchase 365. Thanks for your response.
Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

For simple group announcments (plain text info with some pictures) you should use an email program. Keep an addressbook with all members in one group, then send mail to the whole group. This is a standard feature of all mail programs.
What you can do with OpenOffice is a lot more advanced. In my honest opinion it is not possible to do for people who just started using this program.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

...what Villeroy said.

If you want to distribute identical content to everybody, you use an email application (desktop or webmail). Find the address book part of the application. Enter all your members, and include them in a "skiers" distribution list. Then you can simply send mail to "skiers".

If you want to send personalized content to each member (membership info, fees payable, rating/ranking stats) you have tools within OpenOffice for that.
  • You need to configure a data source to hold the personal info.
  • You also need to create a mailmerge document to extract that info and include it in a well formed document.
  • Lastly, you need to configure OpenOffice to connect to your mail service of choice.
With those steps in place, you can start a merge operation, and each member will receive their own personal message. Be warned, though: Mistakes happen. With every e-mailmerge submission you should do a dry run first, to see that the output is sensible (correct number of emails, check a few mails to see that they look right, with mailing address corresponding to content). Also check whether your internet provider or mail service (the two may be one and the same, or separate entities) have filtering in place to stop bulk email.