AOO crashes after upgrade

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
bigcrmike

AOO crashes after upgrade

Post by bigcrmike »

Apache 4.1.5 SUCKS big time :x :x :x :x . I was using an older version of Open Office w/o ANY problems, but needed to up grade to keep with the constant changes at work. However, I can't open ANY of my previous files!!!
I'll click on either the file or just open Apache Open Office and than the file and it'll open than immediately close. I went to this site, did what it said by opening task manager, selecting open office and hit modify. Rebooted the computer, click in the file and SAME crap.

I'm gonna get rid of this garbage and buy MS Word 2007 for $15 on E-bay and the hell with garbage.

Your older versions NEVER had these problems. Until I get MS word 2007, I'm gonna get id of this crappy 4.1.5 and reinstall the earlier version.

Don't tell me to try this or that. I don't have time to "fix" something that should've been fixed before it was even presented to the public. It's like getting a new car and having to repair something before driving it.
Apache Open Office 4.1.5 on windows 10
robleyd

Re: AOO crashes after upgrade

Post by robleyd »

A recent Windows 10 upgrade has been playing badly with a number of software packages including Apache OpenOffice. There are several topics in the forum including this one with positive reports of a solution.

You are of course welcome to choose whatever software suits your needs.
I don't have time to "fix" something that should've been fixed before it was even presented to the public
That seems to adequately describe the Windows update that was pushed out to an unsuspecting world.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
bigcrmike

Post by bigcrmike »

The older version of open Office was on my laptop running Win 10. I had no problems until I installed the "upgrade." I mean before I could do just bout everything I needed to do. Now (after the upgrade) I can't even open the files or to be more precise, they won't stay open for than 2 seconds before closing.

I'm sorry for getting pissed off, but when you're (approx,) 2 weeks from completing a 2 year project and than having this happen, it's extremely frustrating.
Apache Open Office 4.1.5 on windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you think it was the newer version of OO, you can download (same place) the older version and reinstall it. It may be that your upgrade of OO coincided with a Windows 10 upgrade on Aug 15th (Microsoft Update). The solution is reported to be to uninstall update KB4343909

Once KB4343909 is uninstalled, it should revert to July 11, 2018 update KB4338819; however, I understand that Win 10 keeps pushing the KB4343909 update, so you may have to monitor for it and uninstall regularly untll the problem with it is fixed.

Keep monitoring this forum - some Windows user will probably let us know when it is fixed (I don't use Windows).
 Edit: A link in this post
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=94690&p=452095#p452095
offers a method to prevent KB4343909 reinstalling. 
I cannot guarantee that uninstalling the Windows update will solve your problem, but it is the course I would follow if I used Win 10.

It is up to you which course you follow.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS