Has OpenOffice died?

Talk about anything at all....
O0jl

Has OpenOffice died?

Post by O0jl »

I keep getting "Bad Allocation," Calc & Writer, at the most horrific times since this is somewhat unpredictable though a clue is given by the cursor doing somewhat erratic movement that is slow (?). Also, when attempting to do an update: Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message: .

I uninstalled and downloaded from sourceforge and reinstalled.

I also notice the wiki is not being kept up-to-date and there are few if any current entries in the EN forum. Has the project died after 4.1.5?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Beginners forum to General Discussion
OpenOffice version 4.1.5 and Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Has OpenOffice died?

Post by Zizi64 »

...Or the Windows 10 is dead.

There are many issues about the W10 updates:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=94690#p451449

Or you can try the LibreOffice.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Well, W10 and its updates are an issue (wrong singular?) sui generis.
However, I am using AOO 4.1.5 since its release on Win10, mainly for tests concerning forum issues and comparisons with LibO, and don't know the problem except in cases where I provoked it experimenting with risky user code. In fact the behaviour od AOO is sometimes more stable...

In your case I would suggest you try resetting the user profile. It is not touched by uninstall/reinstall if you not explicitly delete it. Be careful to not lose templates and skripts, if any.

Thoroughly read https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... er_Profile first.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Indeed, it could be a Windows issue or something with your user profile, nevertheless Apache OpenOffice is a walking dead.
StarOffice_major_derivatives.png
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

LibreOffice is NOT the solution in the given case, and its not the general solution.
And MS Office surely isn't a solution for anything. (Check the web for their problems with Office on Windows alone.)

We need to find ways out of the new software dilemma as we had to find ways out of any former crisis.
(I will not be among the "we" in this struggle.)

Such a discussion should, however, find a better location than in the 'Beginners' branch.)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Does LO have any allocation problems after Windows update, broken profiles or not finding the update information?
I run LO on a group of Windows machines without a single problem. I would prefer AOO over LO because of certain questionable new features in LO. The problem with AOO is that a software of this size and complexity falls apart when development comes to halt while the environments proceed.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
O0jl

Post by O0jl »

My reply disappeared and sent me back to the login page. It was a thanks for the input. Guess I will have to point my nose in a direction that offers a solution that I can touch today.
OpenOffice version 4.1.5 and Windows 10
Danniella

Post by Danniella »

If OpenOffice is not coming in new versions, which path is then recommended to go? LO? or which version comes closest to OO in terms of functionality?
OpenOffice 4.1.5. on Win10
Working as Sugaring expert in a skincare clinic.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Since 2011 LO is the successor of OpenOffice. At that time both programs where almost identical and only LO was under active development since then. Most OpenOffice developers switched over to LO and contrary to AOO, LO was very successful in recruiting volunteers.

The native ODF file format is the same.
LO can handle more foreign file formats and it handles them way better than AOO.
There are many things I don't like in LO, mainly I would complain about too many questionable features for the really dull users. For me personally there is no alternative since AOO crashes with most of my documents having database forms. This happens on Linux only. I use database forms a lot and I develop them on a Linux computer.
tochabu

Post by tochabu »

Hopefully, this will help someone. I just moved all my software and data from an older HP laptop to a new one using LapLink PCmover. When I tried to open a 783 page document with OO Writer ver 4.1.5, I got a Bad Allocation error. I reset the user profile. It didn't help. I copied the document to a flash drive and successfully opened it on the older laptop. I ran the OO install program and selected the repair option. This also didn't work. I found that there was a BIOS update for my laptop. After updating the BIOS, it seems to be working properly. I was able to open the 783 page document, edit it and save it.
OOo 4.1.5.X on MS Windows 10
Markdc

Post by Markdc »

Open Office can never be dead. It provides license-free operating system usability to users. Widely used by startup and new enterprises who are on a budget.
open office 4.1.5
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Markdc wrote:Open Office can never be dead. It provides license-free operating system usability to users. Widely used by startup and new enterprises who are on a budget.
OpenOffice is falling apart as its various runtime environments evolve.
gracehadid

Post by gracehadid »

I don't feel that this is the end of Open office. However, the well-known startups and various other communities rely upon Open office products. Point to remember is that it is a license-free product for which I think is and always be a need.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
Richard of Elmley

Post by Richard of Elmley »

Has anyone produced a fix for the bad allocation error. It is a real pain and has been going on for several years now - the earliest post on the subject that I have seen was dated 2014. I experience the error in both Calc and Presentations (mainly in the former because that is what I use most - by a long way). It seems to me to be a problem to do with the change to Windows 10 - probably with OO using features of the operating subsystem that were no longer supported when Windows upgraded from 7 to 10. Apart from the obvious symptom of a crash every few minutes I have noticed that automatic updates no longer happen - recovery is always to whatever I had last saved which is something I find I need to do after about 5 data entries to minimise the probability of a crash. Also when recovering I no longer get the option of sending a report - perhaps this is deliberate to avoid Apache receiving dozens of reports per user per day. Anyway I am seriously considering reverting to Microsoft unless there is some evidence that at least there are attempts to address the problem and find a fix.
Apache open office 4.1.6
Windows 10
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Richard of Elmley wrote:Has anyone produced a fix for the bad allocation error.
Well, you have post in this another thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70298&start=120#p467594
Did you follow suggested solution?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Richard of Elmley wrote:Has anyone produced a fix for the bad allocation error. It is a real pain and has been going on for several years now - the earliest post on the subject that I have seen was dated 2014.
Were any of the reports you found searching with bad allocation helpful? Which did you try?

AOO is "functionally stabilised" and is, in my opinion, unlikely ever to be significantly updated so it will gradually wither away.

LibreOffice is under active development.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Richard of Elmley

Post by Richard of Elmley »

John
Thanks for responding. I have tried unticking the Support assistance box but it doesn't stay unticked. I have also tried changing the relevant value from true to false in the registrymodifications file. The change does get saved OK but when I've reopened a document the value is changed back to true. Do you have any idea why this should be the case? (I've also made a similar comment in the 'bad allocations' thread I apologise for duplication I'm not very familiar with these fora.
Apache open office 4.1.6
Windows 10
Richardx49

Post by Richardx49 »

Hello, I don't think so that OpenOffice died or will possibly ever die.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Richard of Elmley

Sorry I don't know. It's only a matter of time before you are forced to go to LO so perhaps now is the time to do so.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Richardx49 wrote:Hello, I don't think so that OpenOffice died or will possibly ever die.
If nothing else persuades you AOO is dead just look at this chart of postings to the Development mailing list.
Attachments
Clipboard05.gif

Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

Perhaps it is poorly developed. But I find it a very interesting tool. It slow, and have a bugs. But I liked the HTML editor and I also use calc.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 OS: Win10 x32 + Win10 x64
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Evgeniy wrote:Perhaps it is poorly developed. But I find it a very interesting tool. It slow, and have a bugs. But I liked the HTML editor and I also use calc.
You get a lot more from LibreOffice.
qwertyasdf

Post by qwertyasdf »

I'll gladly move to LO if it is better documented and more stable. Is it? (and if it is not owned by a corporation that suffers from "insufficient light" problem...)
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7.0 Ultimate 64bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try it and see - it is your decision.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

In my experience, LibreOffice is less stable than Apache OpenOffice. Not critically though. Anyway, you can have both in your system to compare and decide.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

esperantisto wrote:In my experience, LibreOffice is less stable than Apache OpenOffice.
Confirm.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

esperantisto wrote:
In my experience, LibreOffice is less stable than Apache OpenOffice.

Confirm.
We (at our company) are using the recent Still versions of the LibreOffice since the fork date - without any problem.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

By the way, I recently read an article about catching errors in Libreoffice code. Maybe someone will be interested for overall development.

https://www.viva64.com/en/b/0586/
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The aspect of the different opinions:

Well, when the bug list of an application is often changed by fixing/raising bugs, then it means
- the application is instable (for other people),
- the developer team is active (for me),

And when there are ten-fifteen year old unfixed bugs, and there is a continously increasing uncompatibility with the newer environment features because the developer team is inactive (or maybe there is not a team today), then it means
- the application/project be dying (for me),
- the application is stable (for other people).
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

Everything is relative. He "dies" until there is a developer who breathes life into him :)