[Solved] Insert column in spreadsheet

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
alaniansusse

[Solved] Insert column in spreadsheet

Post by alaniansusse »

I am trying to insert a column to my spread sheet. I right click or use the insert message in the menu and it says insert a column, but when I do that a message says “filled cells cannot be shifted beyond the sheet”. Need help. Thanks you. aisusser@verizon.net my open office is running the latest version 4.1.5 thank you

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply [robleyd, Moderator]. Was Spread sheet
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
Alan/OpenOffice 4.1.3 on macOS High Sierra
RoryOF

Re: Spread sheet

Post by RoryOF »

How many columns have you in the sheet?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Press CTRL +End. That will take you to the intersection of the last used column and last used row. You will probably find that you have content in the last column. Find it and move it or just delete that entire column if you are sure you do not need the content.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. For your privacy you should remove your email address from your first post. No one at the forum will reply to you by email.
FJCC wrote:Press CTRL +End. That will take you to the intersection of the last used column and last used row.
The post is by a person using Mac OS. The correct shortcut may depend on the keyboard they have and on System Preferences but is likely to be ⌘End or ⌘ fn RightArrow. Help → Index → shortcut keys;spreadsheets will provide additional information about shortcuts on Mac OS.
alaniansusse wrote:my open office is running the latest version 4.1.5
You should correct your forum signature, otherwise you may receive inappropriate advice, such as the suggestion to upgrade when you have already done so.
Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.45.31 .png
Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.45.31 .png (9.89 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q10/A10 has important information about using the keyboard on a Mac, though it doesn't apply to this post.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This user has already posted the same query to the OO dev mailing list, saying that he finds the Forum too difficult. I have on the dev list informed him how to access his Forum postings.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
aboba

Re: Insert column in spread sheet

Post by aboba »

Alan,

All your columns, all 1,024 of them, or at least the 1,024th column have something in them. Inserting a column would "push" the last column and its data off the spreadsheet.

Modify your spreadsheet so there is nothing in column AMJ and you will once again be able to insert a column or columns.
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Windows XP Pro
alaniansusse

Re: Insert column in spread sheet

Post by alaniansusse »

All is good with the spreadsheet. I thank all for there help
Alan/OpenOffice 4.1.3 on macOS High Sierra