Trying to download a template for OpenOffice

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Nik1

Trying to download a template for OpenOffice

Post by Nik1 »

Hello! Looking for help. I am a scout leader and found a templete online that would help our pack greatly. It is called Cubtrax and says it is compatible with both excel and open office. Obviously I would like to use open office instead of paying. When I click on it, it ask to save and goes directly to excel which is not active. How do I direct it to open office, I'm sure, this might be a simple question but I'm not computer savey and having trouble. However, once I get this going I think it will work great for my needs. Thanks for any help in advance. Using open office 4.1.5 on windows
open office 4.1.5 windows
RoryOF

Re: trying to download a templete from internet to open offi

Post by RoryOF »

Try starting OpenOffice and use /File /Open, then navigate to the downloaded file, select it and press Open. Now /File /Save As
filename, selecting ODF Spreadsheet template from the File type dropdown menu. Make sure "automatic File naMe extension" is checked. Now double-clicking on filename.ots should open the template as an unnamed spreadsheet file. Remember that you will now need to file /Save as after entering new data, probably something like troupname.ods (file type ods) to save each troop's data; a template is an outline file and should not be made contain specific data; if it does, it loses its general use as a template.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS