OpenOffice no longer works

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Uhura

OpenOffice no longer works

Post by Uhura »

It's like it uninstalled itself. The icon on the desktop is there but nothing happens when I go to it. I went to control panel and then uninstall programs. I had no intention of uninstalling anything but it is the only way I know to find a list of programs on the computer. It is not there.

I didn't do anything that would make it disappear. I'm so upset that I might have lost things. I may have a friend come over to help so I can have someone here physically but would also appreciate anything anyone here has to say.

Thanks.
Open Office 4.1.5
robleyd

Re: Open Office no longer works.

Post by robleyd »

I assume you are using some version of Windows, as you mention Control Panel. With OpenOffice closed, start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and Kill any soffice processes shown on TaskManager's tabs. Then try OpenOffice again.

You can look in Start |All programs to see what is available - you may have to click down one or more levels.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Please add your operating system to your signature. I assume that you're not using Windows 10 since the list of programs is in Settings on Windows 10.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Normally, by default, OpenOffice stores the files it generates in folders that are not affected by the installation or removal of OpenOffice itself, so deleting, repairing or installing OpenOffice will not touch those files. They may not show up on Recent Documents in OpenOffice after a repair; you then have to use OO's /File /Open to navigate to the folder(s) where these files were saved. As you select and open them afresh, they will once more appear on OO's Recent Documents.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS