odt file opens, then quickly closes

Discuss the word processor
DBean

odt file opens, then quickly closes

Post by DBean »

Hello,

I apologize if I'm asking a question you've already answered, but I have limited computer skill and can't find my user profile to try some of the possible solutions I found in the forum posts.

I have a 10-page writer file, almost entirely tables. After about 2 days of work, I got a message that my file had crashed, but would be recovered. I re-opened it, saved, continued working for a few more hours and all seemed fine. The next day, when I tried to open the file, it appeared to open, but immediately closed. The Open Office software also closes at the same time. I tried opening it from both the Open File menu in Open Office, and from the file manager, with the same results. I can open other Office files without problem.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Open Office, with no effect.

I searched for files to see if there was a backup or temp hiding somewhere and I have two files. I attached the first, but can't find the second; there isn't an AppData folder in oob.

task list in C:\Users\oob\Desktop
task list0 in C:\Users\oob\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\backup

I tried restoring previous versions of these two files, and there are none.

I appreciate any help you can offer to get this file back.
Attachments
task list.odt
(17.98 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: odt file opens, then quickly closes

Post by RoryOF »

With OO closed, start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and Kill any soffice processes shown on TM's tabs. Then try OO again.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Your attached file opens without any problem in my AOO 4.1.5, and LO 5.4.7, and LO 6.1.0
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also opens OK for me.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Same here in LO. I even exported to pdf successfully.

Is this happening with any other odt files?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
DBean

Post by DBean »

thanks for the quick replies! I didn't see any soffice files in TM, so couldn't do anything, and I still can't open the file. Is there anything about the other file that I couldn't locate to attach that would cause a conflict with the file I sent you? I'm not familiar with what \AppData\Roaming means, and am wondering if there's any risk in deleting it. I've opened other OO files today without problem, so I think there's something wrong with just this one file.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Given we have no problem and you do, it sounds like it is some nasty interaction between your machine and the file.

You might try opening a new file and copying everything from the existing file into it. I am not overly hopeful but it might work.

I don't think there is anything else you can send us. I'll let someone else talk about roaming whatsit, I am not a Windows user and don't have a clue what it is.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
DBean

Post by DBean »

It just gets curiouser and curiouser. The file is on my desktop, so I tried right click/open and it wouldn't open. Then I tried right click/print and it printed. Why would it do this, but not open?
KeithLawson

Post by KeithLawson »

Having the same problem. Unable to copy and paste to another doc as it closes as soon as settles from loading.
Previously, I have been working on large documents and the refresh time when saving has been long ("Not responding").
Upgraded to 4.1.5 but still happens. No problem with small documents, my large doc contains text, photos and tables, and I have successfully written two docs of 180 and 200 pages (and they open OK).
This is my third large document and I went back to a saved copy on external hard disk, which was not as big, but now I have started to catch up where I was, it opens and closes just like the original. The doc was saved then exited correctly, with no hint of an issue.
I have run Tune Up Utilities and defragged without success in getting past this problem.
I am using Windows 10, not 7.
I was on a deadline to complete the project, which is fast running out. To start again will be hard graft and there is always going to be the expectation of getting so far then Wham! :-(

Surprisingly I can open in File Viewer Plus by Sharpened Productions to look at it but not edit, save etc unless I upgrade to the Paid Version - which I might have to do. Copy and Paste into OO does not save tables, photos and changes the font and format.
Last edited by KeithLawson on Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've just tried a plain text document of 550,000 words, 2214 A5 (US Brochure equivalent) pages; it saved in three seconds on a 10 year old computer.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

KeithLawson wrote: I am using Windows 10, not 7.
I just noticed this buried in the rest of your post. As you are using Win 10, see if the suggestions in this topic which was raised very recently provide a solution.

Please consider updating your signature
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
DBean

Post by DBean »

Thank you Robleyd! I did as you suggested and all appears well.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Well, that's good; my reply was actually for KeithLawson but if I can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak ...
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
KeithLawson

Post by KeithLawson »

Robleyyd
Thanks - I have changed the info.
KeithLawson

Post by KeithLawson »

Current situation.

Using File Viewer to see my work, I copied and pasted the text into OO and have continued as a text only odt without a problem.
Next stage is to insert the photos, so I expect I may hit the same problem but I have to give it a try.
All my other OO work opens and can be worked on - it is a unique problem with this one document.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you will have photos in your file, I suggest that you turn off Save AutoRecovery information (in /Tools /Options /Load-Save /General). For reasons as yet undetermined, this seems to cause the loss of pictures in OO.

When this is turned off, the onus is on you to regularly Save your file (Ctrl S is a quick shortcut), and also to make regular timed/dated backups, for which the extension at
TimeStamp Backup
will be helpful. Note that you need to press the button this extension will install to use it - it does not replace the regular Save or work automatically at preset intervals.
KeithLawson

Post by KeithLawson »

Following on from my earlier text:
I inserted one photo, saved (me not auto), exited then tried to reopen. The doc opens for a second then closes.

The strange thing is, I opened a previous (comparable) doc, inserted a photo, saved and exited, and reopened without issue. The current document was started as New, copied in text by using File Viewer to open, was fine until I added one photo.

Now, the problem seems to be compatibility with my PC and this one file. I have opened the doc on my Notebook (using an external hard drive with a copy), added photo, saved, closed and reopened without a problem (so far). However, the Notebook is not ideal for the big job I am on so I really hope someone will have an idea. Weirdly, I have loaded that version of the doc back on to my PC, deleting the bad one, and it has worked with one photo (which is as far I as can go at this time).

If the problem has gone away, I'll post that news here.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

What is the format of the photo?
KeithLawson

Post by KeithLawson »

RoryOF you might be on to something.
I have done all my text without a problem and now I am adding the photos.
Just these few minutes past, I had a Graphic Filter message then the program crashed. Used Recovery and got the last saved version (NB I have stopped AutoSave as suggested).
To try again, I went Insert Picture, but this time I set JPEG rather than the generic All Files. The photo did not come up to be inserted, despite in general view of the folder it shows as a Jpeg.
So I assume "corrupted" photos may be the problem all along.

I'll persevere with this and give more feedback in the future (either success or another disappointment).
Thanks everyone who has tried to help
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Look at my earlier note in this thread about turning off Autorecovery and do that. Otherwise you are at risk of losing your photos for other reasons..
KeithLawson

Post by KeithLawson »

Hi Rory
Yes, I had done that. This Graphic Filter thing is continuing. I deleted the photo files. Saved and exited, Reopened and inserted again and (at this moment) it's behaving. It seems to be a random issue.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This thread gives some information on JPG files in OpenOffice
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=85948

One thing they advise is not to have your JPG files over-large.
KeithLawson

Post by KeithLawson »

Thanks for the link. I can confirm that the images are not overlarge - mostly around 3mb (scanned b/w negatives) and I have used a number of these photos in two other large files without an issue.
Last issue of yesterday was a crash after I tried to insert a Manual Break (page). Opened fine (after a recovery) and I scrolled the contents of one page halfway down before trying again - this was successful and I am compiling again.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I can confirm that the images are not overlarge - mostly around 3mb (scanned b/w negatives)
3 MiB is a huge file size for a black and white picture. You need optimize your pictures before you insert them into an ODF document. Use a third party software for this task, like the free IrfanView.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A hint for pictures in OO: because of limitations to normal vision, in a document a picture need be printed at no higher resolution than 180 (for good) or 210 (for excellent) dpi on the final printed page.
KeithLawson

Post by KeithLawson »

Picture size - range between 1 and 3 MB. No problem experienced in two other documents (180 pages and 200 pages) using around 300 photos in each.
I take this doc to my Notebook and can open. Edited, saved and returned to PC and it opened. Using, I get the blue circle and "not responding" before it actually saves. A number of the photo files come up as Graphics Error. Crashed on the last save with "fatal error".
So thanks for the help but it's flogging a dead horse - the problem is possibly not with OO alone but with the compatibility with my PC. I am getting a laptop and will try it with that and maybe switch to MS Word.
END OF.