MAKING FORMULA'S PERMANENT

Discuss the spreadsheet application
FTWDBLOCK

MAKING FORMULA'S PERMANENT

Post by FTWDBLOCK »

I have a spreadsheet in which i enter dates & invoice numbers and other information, sales person, etc. In two columns, I have the spreadsheet read the column above it entering the same date (unless i change a cell) and the invoices adding 1 number (example 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004 etc). Now that i have completed the spreadsheet, I would like to make the information in those two columns (the date and invoice) permanent so i can sort the information to better see what each saleperson is doing. I highlight 15 columns x 400 lines and have yet to find the proper way to make each cell permanent

Advise
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed ALL CAPS
acknak

Re: MAKING FORMULA'S PERMANENT

Post by acknak »

Here's the general method for converting formula cells to their results:

1) Select the cells you want to convert.
2) Edit > Copy -- copy to the clipboard
3) Edit > Paste Special -- paste them back into the same cells, with some special options:
___Uncheck: Selection / Paste all
___Check: Selection / (everything else except formulas)
___OK

That said, I have to ask "Are you sure you want to do this?" You are (potentially) throwing away information (the formulas) that you may need to refer to later on, and your "permanent" copy is really no safer than what you have now. This kind of calculation will not change unless you change something.

Some alternatives:

* Make the spreadsheet file read-only.
* Export to a PDF. That will be readable on-line, but not changeable.
* Do the copy operation above, but paste the cells to a new sheet in the same file. You'll still have the formulas to go back to.

PS: If you can, use mixed-case (upper & lower) for you messages here: all-upper-case text is much harder to read. Some even consider it offensive.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23