Help with SDG files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Marvio

Help with SDG files

Post by Marvio »

Hello everybody, complete newbie with Open Office over here.

I recently received some *.sdg files, and as far as I can tell they are Open Office gallery files? But for the life of me I can't figure out how to open/use them?
I did verify that gallery extension packages do contain SDG files, the ones I have are quite a bit bigger (around 60 meg) than the sample I downloaded, I even tried to "hack" the OXT file, deleting the original SDG file (inside the archive), and replacing it with one of the files I was sent, also renaming it to the original name before. It actually installed just fine, but I could see nothing in Writer/Draw Gallery?

Help! :)
Open Office 4 Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Helpwith SDG files

Post by RusselB »

SDG files are (were?) Star Office Gallery files.
My research shows that these files are designed to work with very old versions (1.0 - 1.2) of Star Office.
The latest versions of Open/LibreOffice, while having a base in StarOffice, may not have the code to handle these files any longer.
I'm going to suggest that you extract the files and then convert them to a more up-to-date format. Personally I like working with .jpg/jpeg formatted picture files.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Marvio

Re: Help with SDG files

Post by Marvio »

Yeah, that's what my research revealed too, I ended up here because it seemed like OPen Office/ Libre Office , were the "offspring" of star office, and there is no user groups I could find for Star Office :)

Question is, how do I convert? I can't find anything online? Can Star Office 1.2/2.0 still be downloaded?
Why would a professor from Yale still be using Star Office 2.0 in 2018! :) Lolz
Open Office 4 Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You should be able to download and install an earlier version of OpenOffice or StarOffice. Try
http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/stable/ for versions.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

There are different fle types with same (.sdg) filename extension:

https://www.filemagic.com/en/cad-files/ ... sdg-files/

Can you upload one of YOUR .sdg files here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.