High Jacked by Excel

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
David995031

High Jacked by Excel

Post by David995031 »

About once a month,I open my Open Office spreadsheet and find it has been taken over by Exel and I have to go through all sorts of fiddling about to return it to Open Office. I am using Windows 10 but have not ever had Microsoft Office on my laptop and it seems like it is a Microsoft ploy to force me to buy their product. It happened again this morning and I note that the file name has the Exel icon next to it even though the extension is still .ods. I am scared to close it because I am sure when I open it again later it will have been high jacked again. Anyone got any ideas?
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows10
RoryOF

Re: High Jacked by Exel

Post by RoryOF »

You need to set file associations to point to OpenOffice for the file types in question.

Click the Start button and select Settings > System > Default apps > Set Default by app. Select OpenOffice 4.1.x from the apps list, click Choose defaults for this program, then check the file name extensions for file types you want to open in OpenOffice.

MS Windows updates often do this.
 Edit: There is a quicker way to do this, rather than on a file-type by file-type basis; I am not familiar with the quick way, as I do not use modern versions of Windows. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
David995031

Re: High Jacked by Exel

Post by David995031 »

Thank you very much - really appreciate you taking the time to help.
RoryOF wrote: Click the Start button and select Settings > System > Default apps > Set Default by app. Select OpenOffice 4.1.2 from the apps list, click Choose defaults for this program, then check the file name extensions for file types you want to open in OpenOffice.

MS Windows updates often do this.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows10
Betty344

Re: High Jacked by Excel

Post by Betty344 »

Hi I am a very puzzled and frustrated 'newby' in this forum.
I also appear to have been hi-jacked by WPS It has invaded all through my document files and notices with a duplicate WPS beside my open office File. I very much prefer using Open office. I have read The replies in this forum and just tried what Rory suggested about opening the apps and choosing my Open Office files as default. Something has worked because now I have just been able to print off one of my Open Office files. The WPS files are still there though so it seems I must painstakingly go through dozens and dozens of duplicates in various folders to delete them.

My other BIG problem is that I have tried several times in the past week to download and install the latest 4.1.5 version.
I am being told ----- This app cant run on your PC. check with the software publisher for a version that can run on my PC ?? Is this REALLY the case ? or just another Windows 10 attempt to eliminate competition?
(A qualifier - I am a quite elderly user so getting to grips with this stuff is a real challenge. ) :roll:
Open office 4.1.2
Acer Computer. Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This is exactly the same problem with any Windows version since Windows 4 of 1995. The huge difference between 1995 and today is that back in 1995 computer users learned the most fundamental basics of their computer systems, for instance the difference between programs, data files, folders and links and the relation between their data files and their installed programs in particular. Every drug store used to have a book shelf with books like "Windows 95 for Dummies", "WinWord for Beginners" or "Comprehensive Excel". Nobody believed in "mere intuition" back then.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You need to reset your Default Programs so that AOO has all its default settings.

Google for help on how to do it - it will be in Settings.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I am a quite elderly user so getting to grips with this stuff is a real challenge
On that basis I probably shouldn't be able to tie my shoe laces, and putting on my incontinence wear would require assistance of a younger person :D However, although I was born in the first half of the 20th century, I find I can still learn new things when I need to.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Betty344 wrote:My other BIG problem is that I have tried several times in the past week to download and install the latest 4.1.5 version.
I am being told ----- This app cant run on your PC. check with the software publisher for a version that can run on my PC ?? Is this REALLY the case ? or just another Windows 10 attempt to eliminate competition?
(A qualifier - I am a quite elderly user so getting to grips with this stuff is a real challenge. ) :roll:
This is most probably a Windows Defender problem. Not using any current Windows I cannot suggest a solution; perhaps some more up-to-date Windows user will help.
 Edit: this note may help
How to Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings in Windows 10 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Well, at last we see something that has been changed in the last quarter of a century. Windows tries to establish a third defence line after the criminals nested their software on your computer and after they managed to get it started. What a crap.
Btw: My 80 year old mother successfully started to use a non-Windows Laptop when she was 74.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice