Exporting to PDF

Discuss the word processor
cub001

Exporting to PDF

Post by cub001 »

Can anyone tell me the safest font to use when exporting to PDF.

When I export to PDF then convert to image I lose the fonts????

Thanks in advance 8-)
Cub001
Cub
Apache
OpenOffice Suite 4.1.6
Ask not what you can do for the computer, but what the computer can do for you.
................................................................................... Roberto C. Benitez.
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Re: Exporting to PDF

Post by erbsenzahl »

My experience tells me that using the Microsoft fonts of Arial and Times New Roman (TrueType fonts) is the simplest way to generate PDF files. If fonts are embedded or not, most people have the fonts on their computers and the operating system is not forced to substitute (if not available)... (Some exotic or special fonts may produce lacks for special characters etc.)

What do you mean with "then convert to image"? If you would like to export your Writer file into an image in the end so try out LibreOffice. It can do an export without steps in between.

Cheers
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Every font which is installed on your PC works when you create a PDF not least because the font is actually embedded in the PDF.

Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for. This may NOT be the font being used to create the display because, if the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available.

The TestFonts add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on the PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.
cub001 wrote:When I export to PDF then convert to image I lose the fonts????
What do you "convert to image"? How do you do the convert?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

cub001 wrote:Can anyone tell me the safest font to use when exporting to PDF.

When I export to PDF then convert to image I lose the fonts????
Is the problem with "Exporting to PDF" or with "Convert to image"? Are you converting the exported PDF file from the PDF format to an image file format? I'm not an expert on image file formats, but I wouldn't expect any image file format to store fonts.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
cub001

Post by cub001 »

Thanks everyone for your quick response.
I have been using OO for many years. The last 3 years I decided to create my own Ham Radio QSL cards. I build the card in Writer, direct export to PDF, then send it to Walgreens to be processed from a jpg file.
Because I have no direct converter I use (https://docs.zone)'s online "pdf to jpg" converter. I have done this many times. But the last few times there have been issues with losing the entered data I place into the text boxes.
The process goes like this. In Design mode I make the card. Turn design mode off and fill the card out with the new data. Save the card with or without the data for the next new card which will have new data.
I have attached a pic of the results of one session.
Thing is I changed to a new template and it started working. I just want to know why it's doing this. It gets annoying for sure.
Thanks and hope this helps..
Cub001
This is what I got back from "pdf to jpg" site. All boxes were filled in..
This is what I got back from "pdf to jpg" site. All boxes were filled in..
Cub
Apache
OpenOffice Suite 4.1.6
................................................................................... Roberto C. Benitez.
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

cub001 wrote:Because I have no direct converter I use (https://docs.zone)'s online "pdf to jpg" converter. I have done this many times. But the last few times there have been issues with losing the entered data I place into the text boxes.
erbsenzahl wrote:If you would like to export your Writer file into an image in the end so try out LibreOffice. It can do an export without steps in between.
Have you tried out? See my sample screenshot:
LibreWriterFileMenuExportFormats.png
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Take a snapshot in [Tutorial] How do I view or edit a PDF file with OpenOffice? for copying an image out of a PDF. This is a extract of the Writer manual PDF.
Clipboard02.png
See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for why you should not be creating a JPG file with your image - it should be a PNG for best quality.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
cub001

Post by cub001 »

Well, since OO didn't have that "save as image feature" I did not think that LibreOffice would have had it.. However, I was very mistaken. Thank you erbsenzah for that help. I really appreciate it.
I am wondering why OO does not have that very useful feature.?? Perhaps this will stir the pot a bit and make it happen. Thanks again erbsenzah, it works perfectly..
Cub001
Cub
Apache
OpenOffice Suite 4.1.6
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Perhaps this will stir the pot a bit and make it happen
That is unlikely to happen as a result of your post: this forum is not visited by developers, but is supported by users like yourself.

However, if you wish to put forward a suggestion, see [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

cub001 wrote:In Design mode I make the card. Turn design mode off and fill the card out with the new data.
It looks like you are using a form.

Are you creating the PDF by File > Export as PDF ..., where you tick Create form on the General tab?

See Chapter 15 - Using Forms in Writer in the manual.

cub001

Post by cub001 »

My issue was an intermittent loss of fonts when converting from OO's Writer "Direct Export" , to an image file, like jpg or bmp.
erbsenzahl suggested LibreOffice because it has an "Export to image" feature in it's Writer module. I tried it and it seems to work perfectly.
I haven't used font tester yet but plan too. I know I have fonts that are not native to Windows, but all were labeled as True Fonts.
Thanks for your help. :)
Cub001
Cub
Apache
OpenOffice Suite 4.1.6