OpenOffice File Association

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
AHarrold

OpenOffice File Association

Post by AHarrold »

I've installed Open Office 4.1.5 on a new laptop with Microsoft Office pre installed. During the installation it asked if I wanted to change file associations to Open Office which I selected. However on trying to open a word document it opened in MS Word. I went into Start--Settings--Apps--Default Apps--Set Defaults by App--Open Office--Manage, certain file types are set to open Open Office Calc, however the main file types, .doc, .docx etc are blank. If you try to select a default app I get what looks like a blank app, and Look for an App in the App Store, no other apps are listed to select. Back at Start--Settings--Apps, Installing Apps is set to 'Allow Apps from Anywhere'.
I've tried uninstalling Microsoft Office, reinstalling Open Office as an Administrator, and nothing I can currently do will give Open Office the default to open .doc, .docx files etc.
Laptop running Windows 10 Pro
Open Office 4.1.5
RoryOF

Re: Open Office File Association

Post by RoryOF »

I'm out of touch with modern versions of Windows, bu the traditional method of setting File associations is to right click on a file of the type you wish to associate, then from the popup choose "Open with" and select the file you wish to open that type. At the bottom of the window should be an "Always open with" link (words to that effect). Best to choose this.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
AHarrold

Post by AHarrold »

If only things were so simple. MS have decided to go the extra mile to make things much more difficult.
Open Office 4.1.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think it still works!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS