[Closed] Spreadsheet opens with text import, then is blank

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
longheart

[Closed] Spreadsheet opens with text import, then is blank

Post by longheart »

My monitor showed a black screen when I got home, and nothing I did allowed me to see that windows 10 was running. I eventually reset my computer with openoffice spreadsheet still running, and now the spreadsheet asks for a text import, and turns up blank.
This spreadsheet does not contain a lot of work, and I have an older copy on google spreadsheets luckily - I can recreate the work, but it'll take a couple days since I'm not sure where all the numbers have been changed.
I have attached the spreadsheet I have with this problem, and I don't know what to do with it.
I did not have automatically create a backup (since I didn't know to turn that on), and checking the temporary folder shows no signs of it. I am currently running undelete on my hard drive which was the other suggestion I saw on this forum at viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056 .
Can someone see the most up to date data I have in this spreadsheet?
Attachments
Scalpel build costs spreadsheet.ods
build costs spreadsheet.
(17.98 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged closed
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice spreadsheet opens with text import, then is b

Post by thomasjk »

Definitely empty. No data to be found.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
longheart

Post by longheart »

I'm surprised since it's 18k in size. 18k is the size of my other spreadsheets that contain a similar amount of data, and I do have a smaller spreadsheet with 13k size.
Last edited by longheart on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Nothing usable in it. To prove this, rename at your operating system level to type .zip, then try to open it with your system' s archiver.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
longheart

Post by longheart »

Thank you for your excellent suggestion. I changed the name to .bin, and opened it with a binary viewer. This file is a file containing nothing but nulls. I consider this question solved now.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.

It works for all AOO files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
longheart

Post by longheart »

Thank you, but I decided to not pursue undeleting the file. I will instead reconstruct the missing data on the google spreadsheet as best I can, and redo the past couple days of modifications.