[Solved] Can't find OpenOffice

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
allenb

[Solved] Can't find OpenOffice

Post by allenb »

I'm trying to install open office on my Linux Mint 17.1 (64 bit) computer and although I have downloaded it and installed it, I cannot find it anywhere.

I do have LibreOffice installed and at this stage I don't want to remove that until I am satisfied that OO works for me.

I have downloaded Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz and have gunzipped that file and untarred it to create a pile of *.deb files and I installed them.

I have since found out that I must remove LibreOffice first and of course I didn't do that.

Now I am in uncharted territory and don't know what to do to start again. Question: If I remove LibreOffice will I lose all my documents and files?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Allen
Australia
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Linux Mint 17.1
robleyd

Re: Can't find OpenOffice

Post by robleyd »

I have since found out that I must remove LibreOffice first
Not necessarily - you can install both; see [Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux which should cover just about anything you need to know about installing on Linux.
Question: If I remove LibreOffice will I lose all my documents and files?
No.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
allenb

Re: Can't find OpenOffice

Post by allenb »

I have abandoned the idea of using OO because I have been able to get Libre Office working properly. I removed the LO config directory and when I ran LO again after that, it recreated the config file with factory defaults and is now working properly. I have since upgraded LO to v6

All I have to now is to get rid of OO if I can.

Many thanks to those who offered assistance.

Allen
OZ
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Linux Mint 17.1