Need help file failed to recover

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mookie

Need help file failed to recover

Post by mookie »

every time I tried to recover my file it says "recovery failed"
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\temp is is empty
and in
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\backup has nothing
Is there any way I could get my files back?
thank you
OpenOffice 4.1.3 windows 10
robleyd

Re: need help file failed to recover

Post by robleyd »

As soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva (Windows only) or PhotoRec for Win, MacOS, Linux and other OSes (only one needed) and let it do an in-depth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.

You might want t oconsider using the Timestamped backup extension as part of your backup strategy to store multiple backups of the same file: the AOO backup only keeps one copy when it is activated.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
mookie

Post by mookie »

hello thank you so very much for your reply robleyd!
I am downloading it now Is there a file type I should be looking for?
I have been using my computer all day researching and trying methods to get this file back so I'm a bit scared it may be gone... Would it help if I do a system restore to an earlier point in the day?

also I am not sure if this is useful but there is an odt# file in my documents that was not there before but when I try to open it in OpenOffice it comes up as "#"
OpenOffice 4.1.3 windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Look for files with similar names to sv2ju21c.tmp See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for more detail. Although the topic speaks of Writer files, it is general advice for all AOO applications.

In Windows 10, apparently you can also right-click on the original file - in the file manager - and select "Restore previous versions", select a version, then click "Restore". Perhaps try this while you download.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers