[Solved] Best size/pixel to make Jpegs for presenting

Discuss the presentation application
Sempusa

[Solved] Best size/pixel to make Jpegs for presenting

Post by Sempusa »

I'm trying to make a presentation in OpenOffice for the first time. It is all images and sharpness is critical for the presentation to succeed. I have plenty of resolution in my images but I need to know how to set up a template that will allow that resolution to show in a projected (HD projector-1920 by 1080 pixels)? Are there any templates already set up like this, I could not find any after looking on line and I can not find instructions on where to set the resolution/pixel/size of the image when being placed in the presentation sw?? Anybody out there have any experience with this and can give me a start, it would be a great help. It may be easier just to click thru my folder using the image edit software but the guy in charge wants a powerpoint..ugh!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.13 Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: What's the best size/pixel to make Jpegs for presenting

Post by RoryOF »

Using an external graphics editor, size your images to 1920x1080 before placing them in Impress; After you have built the presentation, choose /Tools /Minimise Presentation and choose image resolution 150dpi on the graphics screen of the minimise dialog.

I suggest you Export as PDF as well, just to have a fail-safe (if slightly reduced feature) PDF file for presentation - this has saved many people embarrassment if PowerPoint barfs on an OO prepared presentation..
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer - it applies to Impress too.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Sempusa

Post by Sempusa »

Thanks guys for the quick response. I will certain take a look at that tutorial. @Rory I will give your suggested settings a try, wondering if using a higher dpi would make any difference, may test a few. I have water images with lots of spray that looks great on my editor screen and would like to keep for the presentation.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your resolution need not be higher than the projector resolution.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Sempusa wrote:I cannot find instructions on where to set the resolution/pixel/size of the image
Any image editor (eg the excellent free IrfanView) will have a Resize / Resample capability.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Sempusa

Post by Sempusa »

I still looking for a template for a presentation that just contains one picture per slide. I like to have a master slide with just one big picture box. I've set my master to 16x9 ins. and resized my images to 1920x1080 pixels. This hasn't helped at all!! When I use insert >picture >from file, the image doesn't fit the slide at all - using just the open blank slide master, the image is always way smaller than the blank slide. I have to go in to resize each image in AOO to fit the slide and then place it so it fits, nothing is snapping into place - this is exactly what I was trying to avoid. Reading the manual about having a picture box you can just click on to insert an image, but can not find any instructions on how to actually make this magical box or have a master slide that already has it in place. This is taking way longer than it has to and I'm not so sure it will ever work with good results. Need help big time.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Sempusa wrote:I still looking for a template for a presentation that just contains one picture per slide.
You will not find one. Create it yourself - see the Impress Guide or just delete the placeholders in an empty slide. See empty slide.odp. Or just ignore them - they will not display.

Images usually include information about their original physical size - it is probably this which AOO is reading. Edit it to be correct using an image editor before inserting the picture, or right-click the inserted picture > Position & Size ... Set the size.

Right-click the picture > Original Size ..., sets the picture to its original size.
Clipboard01.png
There are lots of right-click options. For example, right-click the picture > Alignment ... allows you to centre it vertically and/or horizontally.
Options available when you right-click a picture in Impress
Options available when you right-click a picture in Impress
Can I suggest you read the Impress Guide - see Chapter 4 - Adding and Formatting Pictures which describes how to handle pictures in Impress.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
empty slide.odp
Slide with all placeholders deleted
(9.74 KiB) Downloaded 333 times

Sempusa

Post by Sempusa »

@John_Ha Thanks for the in-depth reply, unfortunately I still have problems -lots. I don't want to delete place holders, I just want to make a master with one picture place holder over the whole slide and you are right I can't find one anywhere. Then I could use that master and easily place the hundred or more images I need. I've already read chap 4 three times, it talks about using it (Whether you are using an AutoLayout for the placement of the picture...)but gives no info on how to actually make an AutoLayout and the 'extensive help' does even get close to being extensive on how to make and place a 'placeholder'. Actually I can't even run a search on help without getting an error about runtime which is definitely loaded on my computer. I could do that then maybe 'centered' might help, without a placeholder to center to, all it does it center the image on the screen - not even the slide, with no vertical centering to the slide at all. I'm at the end of my rope and time. I'm very close to finding a picture application that makes slide shows and hope for the best that the projector with follow along. Impress maybe great for text presentations but trying to make a slide show of images has been a nightmare. Thanks again for taking the time to try and help, but I have to find a way to make this happen without playing around trying to make each slide, just too many to deal with and I've already spent a great deal of time on the images themselves.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Sempusa wrote:I just want to make a master with one picture place holder over the whole slide and you are right I can't find one anywhere. Then I could use that master and easily place the hundred or more images I need.
1. Download empty slide.odp from earlier post - it has the empty slide you want.
2. Place your first image on it - see green rectangle. I just dragged the image file from my desktop onto the slide. You may want to use a larger image or to stretch your image to cover the entire slide. Holding SHIFT while you drag to increase the size maintains the aspect ratio.
3. right click the image > Alignment > Centred ..., centres it horizontally on the slide. right click the image > Alignment > Centre ..., centres it vertically on the slide.
4. Duplicate the slide with Insert > Duplicate slide. Repeat many times.
5. Highlight the image on slide 2. Drag the next image from my desktop- it must be the identical aspect ratio - on top of the highlighted image. The new image will exactly replace the original image.

See empty slide with rectangles.odp
Sempusa wrote:I could do that then maybe 'centered' might help, without a placeholder to center to, all it does it center the image on the screen - not even the slide, with no vertical centreing to the slide at all.
Centre and Centred centre relative to the slide as you can see in the image below, and in empty slide with rectangles.odp.
Sempusa wrote:I'm at the end of my rope and time. I'm very close to finding a picture application that makes slide shows and hope for the best that the projector with follow along. Impress maybe great for text presentations but trying to make a slide show of images has been a nightmare. Thanks again for taking the time to try and help, but I have to find a way to make this happen without playing around trying to make each slide, just too many to deal with and I've already spent a great deal of time on the images themselves.
That is your choice.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Clipboard01.gif
Attachments
empty slide with rectangles.odp
(13.81 KiB) Downloaded 322 times

Sempusa

Post by Sempusa »

@John_Ha Thanks big time for the great instructions! They worked perfectly and were just what I was looking for. I completed over a hundred slides in no time, something I thought impossible with my limited attempts before. With my dumb bell knowledge of Impress I could not find any way to do this without help. Tell me did I just look in the wrong place or do these instructions exist in the manual? No matter for me but others may be interested on where to look. Thanks again, I just may pull this one off thanks to your help.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Sempusa wrote:... did I just look in the wrong place or do these instructions exist in the manual?
They don't appear in the manual as written above but the concepts behind them do.
Sempusa wrote:I'm trying to make a presentation in OpenOffice for the first time
Never forget that the definition of "user friendly" is "that with which you are familiar".