[Solved] Recent Documents not saved

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Recent Documents not saved

Post by RoryOF »

The request to re-register is usually caused by over-hasty power off of the computer, before OO's internal housekeeping is complete. It is best always to use the formal power down procedure, and wait a few seconds before unplugging power or closing a laptop lid. Data is stored internally in buffers in the hard drive(s), and these need that extra few seconds (5 - 10?) to complete their writing to disk before power is cut.

A more serious consequence of over-hasty power off is that one may lose a file irretrievably, so give the computer the few extra seconds.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Craig_Watson

Post by Craig_Watson »

I do turn off the computer using it's Off button lower left screen, as usual. So it saved 3 docs this morning without turning off the computer. I'll try restarting my computer on its own time using the Restart button lower left at the Start button and see if today's docs were saved or if it asks me to re-register again. I'll let you know. Thanks for that tip but it seems my computer logged off too fast, and maybe always logs off too fast. if that is the problem. I don't turn it off at the floor unit of my desktop H/P by pressing the off / on button manually unless it freezes up with a problem (I have a lurking problem that I haven't had diagnosed that slows down my computer. When that happens, a yellow drop down notice comes from under my address line that says "A website is slowing down your Browser. Do you want to: (and then 3 option) Ignore It; Stop It; Disable all Extensions on this page (I think it says "Extensions") I press the Stop It button but it often drops down then pulls up hidden before I can press the button on it - it usually drops down then up within a second so usually I cannot press the Stop It button on that warning screen). This is why I need to have my computer fixed by a local computer business Net Force. That warning screen drop-down menu only started appearing many months after this virus was resident). I don't ever unplug my computer.
OpenOffice 3.1, Windows 7 OS. Does no longer save documents in Recent Documents list. Why? Old version worked fine. New version is incompetent and useless / worthless. I need to know how to make Recent Documents work.
Craig_Watson

Post by Craig_Watson »

This time, when I restarted my computer, didn't just turn it off, might try that next without restart, the documents were saved in Recent Documents even though I restarted the computer. Now I'll try only Turning it OFF, then Start it again with the start button on the Hard Drive unit on the floor.
OpenOffice 3.1, Windows 7 OS. Does no longer save documents in Recent Documents list. Why? Old version worked fine. New version is incompetent and useless / worthless. I need to know how to make Recent Documents work.
Craig_Watson

Post by Craig_Watson »

I turned off my computer with the Start button, then started it again using the button on the Hard Drive casing. AOO saved those 3 documents I had opened earlier this morning, but it didn't save them when I turned it off overnight, and on again with the Hard Drive button this morning. My computer turns off quite slowly when using the Off button on the Start button options menu. If I turn off the computer at the Hard Drive case button when it freezes up, then the computer turns off much faster than simply using the Shut Down button on the desktop (which won't work when the computer freezes up).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Craig_Watson wrote:When I opened AOO this morning, the Save Documents button had no saved documents like it did yesterday. It asked me to register again when opening it. I imagine if I had not had to re-register, maybe the yesterday opened documents would still be there. This morning, after re-registering and opening several documents, I closed AOO then re-opened it. It did not ask me to register again this time when I opened it. My documents opened a few minutes ago before closing it were now saved in Recent Documents. Maybe AOO will stop asking me to re-register at some point, and then Recent Documents might be saved as in the past.
I will not correct your each of your statements above but I will say the following:

1. As you had to re-enter your name you had successfully deleted your user profile
2. Deleting your user profile fixed the problem
3. Once you successfully enter your name you will not need to do so again.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The repeated requests to re-register - which is only so OO can identify you as author of your documents, differentiating you from other possible users of the computer - indicate that you need to alter your close down procedures for the computer. I have previously outlined why this may be necessary.
Craig_Watson

Post by Craig_Watson »

Can you suggest any other shutdown procedure other than "Shut Down" at the Start button bottom left screen desktop, or my other option: push in and hold in the button on the Hard Drive casing? Start button "shut down" proceeds slowly, takes several minutes usually, long enough for your suggested 5-10 seconds required to save Recent Documents on the hard drive as you stated. Pushing in and holding the shut off button on the casing turns off the computer in 5+ seconds. I never use the shut off button on the hard drive case unless the computer has frozen up and the Shut Down doesn't work on the Desktop, in that case (nor does my cursor). I shut down this morning the usual way, using the desktop Shut Down button, and restarted the computer and then AOO, and those saved docs from the morning were there. When I started my computer this morning after being off overnight, the Recent Documents from yesterday weren't there.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My normal procedure is to
1) Close all files, using /File /Close.
2) Close all running applications.
3) Turn Computer off by Shut Down menu item on the start button (equivalent - I don't use Windows).
4) Wait for the screens to go black and hard disk activity to finish (I listen for this).
5) Then I cut the power to the computer setup.

My computers are in general powered down overnight or when I leave them for other than a temporary absence. If I am doing complex processing, I may restart the computers several times per day; such restarting is often associated with prolonged absences from the computers.

Repeated loss of Recent Documents, or repeated need to re-register is usually an indication that the computer user needs to reconsider his methods. Be aware that whatever is causing this may also lead to catastrophic and irrecoverable loss of documents.
Craig_Watson

Post by Craig_Watson »

Hi, I use that same procedure daily, steps 1 thru 4. But I do not unplug my computer from the wall socket or power strip, which is what I assume you mean in step 5. Apparently you think this is also important to preserve stuff on my computer since you use it. If so, maybe I'll unplug it at night too. How is this any different from Shut Down button at Start button menu to shut off the computer? I might start backing up my computer daily instead of weekly to insure recovery of documents if something causes catastrophic loss of documents. I'll be interested to see if my Recent Documents are still there tomorrow when I start my computer again. I'll post a comment here tomorrow morning if that happens again.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I disconnect from the wall socket as many devices use a trickle of power to monitor remote commands - for example, the network storage devices on the same circuit can monitor for "Wake on LAN" commands. All these add to the overall power bill.

The important thing is to execute them systematically, and let the various close-down processes complete; this is only a matter of a few seconds, which few seconds will amount to less time cumulatively than rebuilding a damaged file.
Craig_Watson

Post by Craig_Watson »

I've always shut down my computer using the Start button menu. I'll consider unplugging my computer but, this morning all my saved files on Recent Documents button worked fine, all my opened docs from yesterday were there. It seems to be working fine now. I super appreciate all you help, advice etc. Please tell me where that Windows File manager is that I missed and plugged in your %appdata% into the wrong field- the address bar. Although I made that work with a different plug in to the address bar, I want to find out where the file is you show in your instructive screen shot is. Then I'll write down this procedure should I ever need to use it again.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Look at the bottom of the first image I posted; red arrow points to the Windows Explorer icon which I used to start Windows Explorer (known as File Explorer and File Manager in other Windows versions). I believe this icon is placed on the bottom bar by default when Win 7 is installed; of course it may have subsequently been removed.

Otherwise, there are a number of ways to fire it up, two of which;
Windows key +E
Start menu | All Programs item | Accessories sub-menu | Windows Explorer menu item

And if you search the internet for Windows Explorer I'll bet you'll find a lot more information. We are now beyond the scope of support for Apache OpenOffice, however.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Craig_Watson

Post by Craig_Watson »

OK, thanks. Mission accomplished. I'm very thankful for this forum and your help.