OO keeps crashing and update gets error messages as well

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Arbe

OO keeps crashing and update gets error messages as well

Post by Arbe »

Hiya,

I know others had some issues before but when I try and click on the solutions (or what I think may be them) here on this forum I also get an error code that the relevant page is not available - besides none of the ones I found related to Windows 10 so here I go fresh.

I have used OO for years with no problems and will continue to do so but when I have to write a quick quote or invoice for a customer and it takes me ages due to the constant crashes it becomes rather time consuming...

So I only use Text Documents so I am not sure if it happens in other documents as well. I open a new or existing page and start either changing and typing and sometimes I manage to write a few sentences - other times i crashes after just a few letters - tells me an unexpected error occurred and OO needs to shut and start the recovery process - then I have to click on start recovery and ok for the document to open again.

I am using Version 4.1.5 and Windows 10 64 bit

I cant remember when it first started but at least 6-8 weeks ago but I have been traveling in between and only now have the time to possibly fix it.

I have not yet de-installed and re-installed as I read in one of the other posts that that did not help... so left it for now But I did try and update it and got an error message there as well - apparently the server cant connect

Also I noticed also - that some files I created in OO and saved on my desktop cant be opened again at all and are blanked out - so I only know by their file extension that they are OO ... might be 3 different issues I am having but I put them all in here as they may or may not be connected.

Thanks for any ideas
OpenOffice4.15 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: OO keeps crashing and update gets error messages as well

Post by FJCC »

You probably need to reset your user profile. To do that, first shutdown OpenOffice. Then open any folder and enter
%appdata%\openoffice\4
in the address bar near the top of the window. That will take you to a folder containing a folder named user. Right click on that folder, select Rename and set the name to user_old. Restart OpenOffice and you should get the registration screen. After filling that out, is OpenOffice stable?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
robleyd

Re: OO keeps crashing and update gets error messages as well

Post by robleyd »

But I did try and update it and got an error message there as well - apparently the server cant connect
This problem has been reported as a bug - please see [Issue] Check for Updates feature fails You are currently using the most recent version - 4.1.5 - of AOO so there is no upgrade available at the moment. Try FJCC'c suggestion to resolve your problem.

You can always get the latest version of AOO via http://www.openoffice.org/download/ or by clicking on the download icon at the bottom of every page in the forum. When a new version is available, an announcement will be posted as a sticky topic in many places in the forum.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers