[Solved] MAC OS X 10.5 loads X but no splash and frozen OO

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
zodiac1913

[Solved] MAC OS X 10.5 loads X but no splash and frozen OO

Post by zodiac1913 »

Hi I have a MAC that I upgraded (wiped hard drive) to Leopard. The weird thing is it seemed my X11 off the CD was corrupt. No worries though as I downloaded the latest and now DARWINE works with (Clock & Notepad) and Mac ports works with GIMP and Alienblaster. So X11 is good. I have installed, deleted and installed OpenOffice 2.4 at least 10 times and each time I get the same thing. I click the icon and X11 boots, next xterm appears. At this point on other macs the splash screen appears but not on this one. On this mac nothing appears and the OO Icon just sits in the bottom. It is selectable but the menu only allows about and edit script options. Edit script does nothing. OO will not shut down unless force quit is used. Now I am rather new to MAC OS X but I have a good windows and Unix/Linux background so I decided to play tonight and I moved the OO to my home then went in with the xterm and tried to run programs in the MACOS dir. I actually got OO to run using the soffice.bin once but cant reproduce it. I can also launch testtool.bin but Im not sure what that even is. Anyways I am really having a ball (NOT!) playing with this and the person who gets this MAC is now 4 Days overdue on getting it and at this point I have no clue how to fix it cause im not really sure what the script in soffice does but I am fairly sure that is the point of failure. Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: MAC OS X 10.5 loads X but no splash and frozen OO

Post by lgusaas »

I normally use the development builds of OO.o 3.0. I recently upgraded to Leopard and decided to give OO.o 2.4.1 a try since there have been many reports of problems getting it to work.

First – There are problems with the version of X11 on Leopard. I updated to the latest version of X11. It's available at http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/Releases
Note: the xquartz X11 has to be reinstalled after any Leopard update.
Then I followed the directions on Shaun McDonald's blog.
http://shaunmcdonald131.blogspot.com/20 ... d-out.html
OO.o 2.4.1.then worked for me.

An easier solution is to use the Beta version of OpenOffice.org 3. It does not use X11. It is available here:
Release candidate 2 now available http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html
Last edited by lgusaas on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
zodiac1913

Post by zodiac1913 »

Dude..I went with easy..man 3.0 looks awesome. Thanks for the advice :D
OOo 2.4.X on Mac OSx Leopard + Windows and Linux
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Glad you go tit sorted, but be aware that 3.0 is a beta - make lost of backups of your documents1

If your question has been answered please go to your first post, use the edit button and add [Solved] as the first word of the title. You can also select the green tick icon.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
BettyBoop70

Post by BettyBoop70 »

Hello everyone!

New here and most importantly new to Mac... I first installed OpenOffice 2.4 last week, but couldn't figure it out (what can I say... after all these years of using "the other's software" I must admit that I'm not that good with the Mac environment... ;) ) so I thought I had installed it wrong... I looked around and came across this post, so I figured that I should do what Igusaas suggests... But now, it's worst than ever... :( I installed the latest version of X11, then reinstalled Oo 2.4.1, made the modifications described in Shaun McDonald's blog but now, nothing works... When I try to launch Oo, the only menu I get is OpenOffice, File and Edit and that black and white circle keeps turning and turning very slowly, but nothing happens... At least last week, I had a blank page (writer) that opened...

Is there anyway I can go back to how it was last week? :?: :?:

Thanks for your replies! :)
BB70
Support bacteria; they're the only culture some people have!
OOo 2.4.X on Mac OSx Leopard
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

BettyBoop70 wrote:Hello everyone!

New here and most importantly new to Mac... I first installed OpenOffice 2.4 last week, but couldn't figure it out (what can I say... after all these years of using "the other's software" I must admit that I'm not that good with the Mac environment... ;) ) so I thought I had installed it wrong... I looked around and came across this post, so I figured that I should do what Igusaas suggests... But now, it's worst than ever... :( I installed the latest version of X11, then reinstalled Oo 2.4.1, made the modifications described in Shaun McDonald's blog but now, nothing works... When I try to launch Oo, the only menu I get is OpenOffice, File and Edit and that black and white circle keeps turning and turning very slowly, but nothing happens... At least last week, I had a blank page (writer) that opened...

Is there anyway I can go back to how it was last week? :?: :?:

Thanks for your replies! :)
I have no advice on getting this working for you. The process I described worked for me and others.

The simple solution is to install OO.o 3.0.0 – it doesn't use X11. Release Candidate 1 is available here:
http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html

RC 2 should be available the end of this week/beginning of next week. The final version should be out in a couple of weeks.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
BettyBoop70

Post by BettyBoop70 »

Ok, thanks for your reply lgusaas. I thought about this last night: isn't it possible to "uninstall" the newest release of X11 and reinstall the version that came with Leopard? And then, uninstall Oo and reinstall it, without making the modifications mentioned by Shaun McDonald? As I said earlier, I could at least run Oo (with a few "bugs", but at least, it ran...)

On the other hand, should I decide the install the 3.0 version, do I have to uninstall X11 and Oo 2.4.1. before?? And how do I do that? :roll:

I apologize if my questions are a bit "dumb" but like I said I'm new to Mac and Oo, so I need really clear and detailed info! ;)

Thanks and have a nice day!
BB70
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

BettyBoop70 wrote:Ok, thanks for your reply lgusaas. I thought about this last night: isn't it possible to "uninstall" the newest release of X11 and reinstall the version that came with Leopard? And then, uninstall Oo and reinstall it, without making the modifications mentioned by Shaun McDonald? As I said earlier, I could at least run Oo (with a few "bugs", but at least, it ran...)
Yes, you could uninstall and reinstall. If OO.o ran before there was no need for the modifications. I don't know what bugs you encountered before. In your previous post you stated "At least last week, I had a blank page (writer) that opened...". That is how it normally opens. Other programs are available under File/New.
On the other hand, should I decide the install the 3.0 version, do I have to uninstall X11 and Oo 2.4.1. before?? And how do I do that?
No need to uninstall X11. You may need it in the future for other programs you might install. To uninstall OO.o 2.4.1 just drag it from the applications folder to trash - that is the standard uninstall method on Macs. Also delete the user profile. It is located at 'Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org'

I would recommend using OO.o 3.0.0. It has a much better interface on Macs than using 2.4.1 X11 version.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
BettyBoop70

Post by BettyBoop70 »

lgusaas wrote:Yes, you could uninstall and reinstall. If OO.o ran before there was no need for the modifications. I don't know what bugs you encountered before. In your previous post you stated "At least last week, I had a blank page (writer) that opened...". That is how it normally opens. Other programs are available under File/New.
Thanks for the reply! The bug was that X11 always gave me a "Command timed out" error and it mostly bugged ME ;) So I thought that by doing what is described in here, I would resolve this issue...
lgusaas wrote:No need to uninstall X11. You may need it in the future for other programs you might install. To uninstall OO.o 2.4.1 just drag it from the applications folder to trash - that is the standard uninstall method on Macs. Also delete the user profile. It is located at 'Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org'

I would recommend using OO.o 3.0.0. It has a much better interface on Macs than using 2.4.1 X11 version.
I finally uninstalled Oo, reinstalled X11 from the Leopard CD and reinstalled Oo 2.4... I still have the same error, but at least I can work!

Thanks again for everything!
BB70
ravijn

Post by ravijn »

Igusaas, has already listed this solution, Thanks for that, this is the only way for MAC-OSX-PPC users for now, till we get the Mac OSx port for OO3.0. Here is the solution, it seems it is an X11 bug, so download the newer version of X11 and then follow the instructions, it worked for me.

First – There are problems with the version of X11 on Leopard. I updated to the latest version of X11 (X11-2.3.1 worked for me) . It's available at http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/Releases
Note: the xquartz X11 has to be reinstalled after any Leopard update.
Then I followed the directions on Shaun McDonald's blog. This will remove the "Command Timed Out" Pop-Up.
http://shaunmcdonald131.blogspot.com/20 ... d-out.html
OOo 2.4.X on Mac OSx Leopard + Windows
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

ravijn wrote:Igusaas, has already listed this solution, Thanks for that, this is the only way for MAC-OSX-PPC users for now, till we get the Mac OSx port for OO3.0.
PPC versions have always been available from the Mac Porting Project http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/

The Mac port only recently became officially supported by SUN. They only build Intel versions — they do not have any Mac PPC computers since they are no longer made

Mac OS X - PPC versions of OO.o are available from good-day. RC2 is available now. The final version should be out by end of month or early October. The good-day index page is:
ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/Open ... rg/MacOSX/

OO.o 3.0 RC2 is at ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/Open ... /3.0.0rc2/
Note: the US English versions DO NOT have _en-US in the file name.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada