[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.5 Blury

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
GBS

[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.5 Blury

Post by GBS »

Hi

just loaded OO 4.1.5 to a new laptop. WIn 10, 2GB dedicated graphics.
When I open any - text doc or Spreadsheet etc etc all fonts and drop down menus as well as symbols are fuzzy. Re loaded and same same. Loaded OO 4.1.5 to my friend laptop same configuration and its perfect.
I do not have MS products loaded at all. Tried Tools, Options, View, Font no change.

Brilliant software really need assistance.

Thank you in advance.
 Edit: Noted as solved in this topic [robleyd, Moderator] 
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.15 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Open Office 4.1.5 Blury

Post by RoryOF »

Try /Tools /Options/ OpenOffice : View and in turn (4 options altogether) change "Use hardware acceleration" and "Use antialiasing" under the Graphics output section. I suggest restarting OO completely between each of these changes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
GBS

Post by GBS »

Thank you for that option. It was a no go. Also I should have mentioned, even the splash screen is fuzzy

Thank you, still working on it, will try anything.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you tried the four options? What is your computer's screen resolution?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

GBS wrote:When I open any - text doc or Spreadsheet etc etc all fonts and drop down menus as well as symbols are fuzzy. Re loaded and same same. Loaded OO 4.1.5 to my friend laptop same configuration and its perfect.
It is therefore almost certainly a Windows configuration problem, a bad graphics driver or a laptop hardware problem and not an AOO problem.

1. Are all other programs OK?
2. Have you set up Windows ClearType properly?
3. Are you using the native screen resolution? or a reduced screen resolution?
4. What default Windows text size are you using?
5. Is anything in the AOO window not fuzzy? What does text you type into a document look like?

Please upload a high resolution image of the problem - 128kB max here or use a file share site. Use Alt + PrtScrn to copy the active window. Paste it into an image editor, crop it and save as a GIF file (lossless compression and minimum size). Upload it.

A thought - replace the Profile. Stop AOO. Rename C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user to ...\user_OLD. Restart AOO. Does that fix it?
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
GBS

Post by GBS »

Yes tried the 4 options, hope I understood you correctly to do in the process. Screen resolution is 1920 x 1080

1. Are all other programs OK? Yes they are perfect
2. Have you set up Windows ClearType properly? I don't know what this is.
3. Are you using the native screen resolution? or a reduced screen resolution? No idea
4. What default Windows text size are you using? 12
5. Is anything in the AOO window not fuzzy? No, all is fuzzy

Many thanks
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

As other programs are OK, try replacing the Profile - it does not get replaced when you re-install.

Stop AOO. Rename C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user to ...\user_OLD. Restart AOO. Does that fix it?

What does test.odt look like?
Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard01.gif (23.07 KiB) Viewed 18399 times
test.odt
test.odt
(12.24 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For fault-finding I suggest the following:

Turn off both Anti-Aliasing and Hardware Acceleration in OO. Then turn your screen resolution down (right click on desktop may allow access to that - so long since I used Windows I'm not certain) select (say) 1280x1024 and try OO. If it is crisp, try upping the screen resolution and see where the crispness ceases.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, worth starting Windows in Safe Mode, and running OO when in that mode. Crisp? Then a graphics driver update might help.
GBS

Post by GBS »

From
For fault-finding I suggest the following:

Turn off both Anti-Aliasing and Hardware Acceleration in OO. Then turn your screen resolution down (right click on desktop may allow access to that - so long since I used Windows I'm not certain) select (say) 1280x1024 and try OO. If it is crisp, try upping the screen resolution and see where the crispness ceases.
Tried this, no change, thank you. Time to leave the laptop, will try again tmro. Thank you one and all.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Did you reset the profile? If you did, what happened? Did you get asked to enter your name when you started AOO?

2. Download test.odt - does it view OK?

3. Please upload a screen image so we can see what we are trying to fix. All is otherwise guesswork.

Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Bill wrote:See the solution posted here:
[Solved] Fuzzy / blurry appearance on Windows 8.1
That suggested fix is strange. My screen is 1,920 x 1,080 and I see no blurring with a standard installation on W7.

I did ask development if there was a maximum screen resolution but got no satisfactory answer - see [Issue] Mac: Blurry text, Retina worse and Issue 127684 - Please update System Requirements to state the maximum screen resolution supported. The System Requirements are still listed as "1024 x 768 pixel or higher resolution with at least 256 colors (16.7 million colors recommended)".

Apple MacBook Retinas now have screen resolutions of 2560 x 1600, 2880 x 1800 and 5120 x 2880 - see Using a Retina Display at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202471. The blurred text for the Apple user was fixed by operating the MacBook at a reduced screen resolution.

Once again, a quick search of the forum with blur or variants would have found the posts ...

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My memory is that the libraries used for OpenOffice graphic handling have a limit of 2560 pixels; this applies only to the OO windows. The operating systems should handle higher resolution screens, but the OO window may be limited to a width of 2560 pixes on such wider screen.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

John_Ha wrote:
Bill wrote:See the solution posted here:
[Solved] Fuzzy / blurry appearance on Windows 8.1
That suggested fix is strange. My screen is 1,920 x 1,080 and I see no blurring with a standard installation on W7.
I don't know if it affects Windows 7. In any case, it shouldn't happen with a 96 PPI screen. My 23" monitor screen at 1920 x1080 is 96 PPI. The OP is using a laptop which should have a smaller screen and a consequently higher PPI.

Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
GBS

Re:FIXED [Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.5 Blury

Post by GBS »

Thanks jabarac and everyone. FIXED. for Win 10
Program Files (x86), Open Office 4, Program, find Soffice, Right Click Properties, Compatibility, Change DPI Scaling Override, Put a tick in the box Override High DPI Scaling. Ok, Apply, Ok. All done. Thank you to everyone in the forum.
Slowandlow

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.5 Blury

Post by Slowandlow »

Same problem here, blurry text in OpenOffice 4.6.1/ Win10. I followed the tips provided in this thread, and it worked! Wow, what a difference! Almost perfectly clear text, wonderful!

My input was slightly different, but basically the same. Go to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program, scroll down to the "soffice.exe" file.

The soffice.exe- file is the one with the blue OpenOffice- logo ("Application").

Right click the "soffice.exe"- file, choose the tab "Compability", press the button ""Change high DPI settings", this will open a new window. In this window, add a check in the box next to "High DPI scaling override/ Override high DPI scaling behaviour". Press OK, Apply, OK. Done!

Thanx everyone!!
BRG
OpenOffice 4.6.1 Windows 10, 2018 fall update
voxel nova

Post by voxel nova »

Hi

I tried the fix on this thread as follows...
Program Files (x86), Open Office 4, Program, find Soffice, Right Click Properties, Compatibility, Change DPI Scaling Override, Put a tick in the box Override High DPI Scaling.

Sorted the low dpi quality of text but has made all the icons tiny and some items overlap on the display. particularly on the opening screen. Any ideas?

I'm running the latest open office 4 and a brand new dell xps with windows 10 pro

Many thanks
open office 4 windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Sorted the low dpi quality of text but has made all the icons tiny and some items overlap on the display. particularly on the opening screen. Any ideas?
Install https://libreoffice.org/ which is the actively developed successor to OpenOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice