[Solved] AOO file to PDF for Printing?

Discuss the word processor
JSeth

[Solved] AOO file to PDF for Printing?

Post by JSeth »

Hello, folks - I am barely computer literate, so bear with me please. Had MS Home Office until it was obliterated into the cloud. Apache Open Office was recommended to me as a means to update flyers for my music gigs.

Thus far, I have the updating part working fine, but when I go to Kinko's to print the flyer, they don't "recognize" ODP files. I have looked closely, but do not see a way to convert the Apache files into PDF files for printing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not have a printer, and I have to have flyers by this Saturday evening!

Thanks...
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
Open Office 4 on Windows 8
FJCC

Re: AOO file to PDF for Printing?

Post by FJCC »

You can use the menu File -> Export As PDF.
There is also a PDF icon on the standard tool bar. It is the sixth icon from the left on my system, just before the printer icon.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You don't say which application you are using to produce your flyers so I'll use Writer as an example; all the Apache OpenOffice applications have this same functionality available, however.

Go to the menu bar, click on File and you'll find an option to Export as PDF - see the screenshot below.
export_pdf.png
I note you are using Windows; you may also have a printer option to print to a PDF file; this web search will turn up some sites with more information. Essentially, click File | Print and see if there is a PDF Printer, or similar name available.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
JSeth

Post by JSeth »

Thanks to both of you for responding so quickly. I have been saving the flyer files to a thumb drive (?), and then taking that to Kinko's to print. I will try to export the file as a .pdf onto that. I will let you know if that works... thanks again!
John
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I suggest you Export to PDF on the existing hard drive, then move the generated PDF to the USB device, rather than export directly to the USB. Be careful to observe the operating system's USB removal protocol.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JSeth

Post by JSeth »

Just wanted to check back in to say that (of course!) the suggestions worked perfectly...
Thanks to all who replied; I LOVE IT when a plan works out!