Losing pictures in presentation

Discuss the presentation application
john hendrick

Losing pictures in presentation

Post by john hendrick »

Does anyone know how to keep from losing pictures when they are inserted into a presentation? I select the photo, check the LINK box and then hit open. Most of the time the photo comes in, but later when trying to run the program, the picture is gone, but the LINK is shown. It is real frustrating. I have a 140 picture presentation of .jpg photos, and about a half dozen will just not show up even when I delete them and then reapply with the link. The links are accurate, they just don't show up, 95% do, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Losing pictures in presentation

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the wrong forum. You would be better posting in the Impress forum

It sometimes happens with embedded images but linked images are usually OK. I am assuming that the images are still in the locations on the PC from which they were linked because if you delete, rename or move them, they will not be pulled into the presentation.

Some things to try include:

1. Read [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer - 90% applies to Impress too. Especially note Items 1, 3, 9, 11, 12 and 16.

2. Go Tools > Minimise presentation. This minimises embedded images without affecting quality. You should find the .odp file is much smaller. You are given the option of embedding linked images which pulls them into the presentation, embeds them and minimises them.

3. Be sure to save as a .odp file.

4. Embed the images, minimise and split the presentation into two, each of half size.

5. Create a PDF from the presentation, and present using the PDF. You will need to run any videos outside of the presentation - put links in the presentation to the video files and click the links to run the video.

6. In Writer, which uses the same image handling routines, rapid scrolling of a document with many large, poorly anchored images can cause image loss - see Issue 127742 - Severe performance degradation when multiple images anchored to same anchor? / image loss. Be sure each image has its own, unique anchor. Never copy and paste photos into a presentation. Save the file after adding a few images. Don't scroll fast through the presentation. Increase the Graphics cache size and memory per image.

Try searching the Impress forum with missing images or similar.

I have a minimised 40 slide presentation (JPG QF 90%, 150 dpi for projector) where each slide is a large image. The .odp file is 11 MBytes.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
john hendrick

Post by john hendrick »

Thanks very much for responding, just an FYI: I did not move or rename any of the image files, nor did I ever minimize so I will try that. There are some great helpful hints here and I will look at each one as a solution - thanks again for your help
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is an ad hoc fix that improves (cures?) the problem. In /Tools /Options /Load-Save : General tab, uncheck "Save AutoRecovery information every ...". If your computer crashes, there will be no autorecovery information saved, so it is your responsibility to make regular saves and backups. Also, make sure your computer is as stable as possible - this is why many of us don't use Windows :D

At some time this problem may be fixed, but because of limited manpower don't hold your breath.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
john hendrick

Post by john hendrick »

Thanks for your response, I will eliminate the auto-save - but do understand I should manually save every so often - appreciate the heads up.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This certainly works in Writer; there is no reason not to try it in Impress.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
john hendrick

Post by john hendrick »

Thanks again Rory.