End of page

Discuss the word processor
George27

End of page

Post by George27 »

Is 'page break' the same as 'end of page'? My document has no indication of page endings, hence my number paging does not register . . . I think? But I don't know. I have written several books, and now? I cannot understand how to format them. Oh!
Open Office 4 on Windows XP
FJCC

Re: End of page

Post by FJCC »

I seems that you are in the Web Layout view of the document. Try selecting the menu item View -> Print Layout.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
George27

solved Re: End of page

Post by George27 »

Thank you for your explanation I understand. But I am sorry I cannot find the 'edit' button to register a 'solved' Can you tell me where it is? I have another question. There is a line around my text. Is that a 'border'? It is okay, but sometimes the text is right up flush with the border and that is distracting to my eye. I would like to remedy this situation if possible.
Last edited by George27 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You go to your first posting in the thread, press Edit button at top right, and add [Solved[ to the Subject line.

The line immediately about your text is that indicating the margins. You can turn this off/on by /View /Text boundaries. It does not print - best to get used to it for detailed layout.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The attached image shows an area near the top of this topic with the Edit button highlighted with a read box.
EditButton.JPG
I think the border you refer to is the text boundary. You can turn it off with the menu item View -> Text Boundaries.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
George27

Post by George27 »

Thank you for your kind attention to these, what must be for you, trivial matters. I appreciate it. You know? I am still not sure what that boundary is. When I formatted the page, I chose 1 inch, or 2.5cm, for left, right, top and bottom margins for a letter page. I thought that the border indicated text margins in from the edge of the page, then. I am correct? If that is the case, some of the text appears to be at the very edge of the page which is distressing. And, and, and . . . there sometimes seems to be a lot of space at the top of some pages where I can put the page numbers? And. Some times there is no space. I would like to be able to make them all uniform. And I guess page numbering isn't automatic. I am sorry about that. Also, continuing on the subject of headers, outside the said boundary about which I have a vague understanding, there is a long narrow rectangle that appears at the top of each page. It seems useless. Is there a way I can be rid of it? Thanks again for your patience.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The long narrow rectangle is the area for the page Header. If you click in this, and choose /Insert /Fields : Page Number, it will insert the page number on each page using that Page Style.

Stop messing about: read
Writer for students (several languages)
for a reasonably succinct overview of using Writer.
George27

Post by George27 »

Excuse me. I think I am annoying you. Thanks for your help. I have checked Writer for Students and I can't understand it.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

No, you are not annoying me: you need to read some instructions. If Writer for Students does not suit, try the files referenced in this posting
Structure Instructions
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

George27 wrote:Excuse me. I think I am annoying you. Thanks for your help. I have checked Writer for Students and I can't understand it.
Rest assured, you are not annoying us. You try to solve your issues. You have made an effort. You tell us what you have tried. That is exactly what we expect from you.

Some of the helpers will respond in a somewhat harsh manner in some situations, usually when the asker makes no effort or does not take the advice given. The advice you got from RoryOF is not such a response. Language and cultural differences may have given you that impression.

There may be other resources available in your language, or other languages you are fluent in. We might help you better if you can tell us which language(s) work best for you. (We have helpers here from around the world, so there is a good chance of making a match.)