[Solved] How do I open AOO?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
rzacc

[Solved] How do I open AOO?

Post by rzacc »

Hello all. I am new here and new to OO. I downloaded it, and it sits in a file...not sure how to open it. No icon on the home page. Nothing. I have tried every link in the file, and no luck. Dumb question, I know.. but how do I open the program?
Thanks in advance.
Ron Z
Last edited by robleyd on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1;5 Windows 10
robleyd

Re: How do I open AOO?

Post by robleyd »

Did you read the Installation instructions for Windows? I suggest you scroll down to the comprehensive instructions and follow them carefully.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
rzacc

Post by rzacc »

I did read that several times....and it does not fit with what i see... I only have the folder on the desktop. Nothing else.
The instructions say:

Unpack and install the downloaded Apache OpenOffice 4.x.x files
Either using Windows Explorer or Mozilla/Netscape's Download Manager, navigate to the Apache OpenOffice file you downloaded.
Windows Explorer users will want to find the file and double-click to launch the unpacking and installation program. Alternately, Mozilla/Netscape users will want to open the Download Manager, highlight the file, and click Launch File. In either case, the unpacking program will start.
The Welcome window is displayed to note that you have downloaded Apache OpenOffice 4.x.x. Click Next to continue.

But I do not have those options.... I only have the file folder with the program files in it... Does that make sense? There should be an icon that I can click on...right? I'll keep working on it. Thanks for he reply.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

OK - so you have downloaded the package. On completion of the download you should have a file named something similar to Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_Win_x86_install_en-GB.exe wherever your browser is set to place downloaded files. If so, where is the file?

If not, can you tell exactly the steps you took to download the file, e.g. went to website xyz.org/wibble, clicked this, did that etc.

Bear with me here because you can see what you have, and know what you have done on your computer but I can only go on what you tell me, so I may have to ask what appear to be basic questions.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
rzacc

Post by rzacc »

Ok, I deleted the program and reinstalled it. THis time it is all there, and does work. Obviously it failed to completely install the first time. Now I have all the components. Thanks for the replies.
Ron Z
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] How do I open AOO?

Post by John_Ha »

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
rzacc

Post by rzacc »

Thank you John. I will work on that - Im learning, however slowly... Duh..
Ron Z
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A briefer version of the information (but not as extensive - designed for students who seem too lazy to read) is at

Writer for students (several languages)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS