[Solved] Display problems in Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ian german

[Solved] Display problems in Calc

Post by ian german »

Hi all

I am not sure of the terminology, so bear with me. I want to be able to write 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc exactly as shown here, but AOO truncates the st, nd, rd to a tiny raised addition to the number, in what I would term a kind of "old English" format. Any solutions?

And I know 2 questions in one topic is frowned upon, but they may be related - is there any way to change the thickness of the borders lines PERMANENTLY? I use the underscore line from the dropdown quite a lot but would like the line to be fatter without tinkering with them every time.

Using AOO 4.1.3 on Windows 10

Thanks
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
Open Office 4.1.3 on windows 10
robleyd

Re: Display problems in Calc

Post by robleyd »

AOO truncates the st, nd, rd to a tiny raised addition to the number
That is known as superscript. Go to Tools | Autocorrect Options and on the Localised Options uncheck Format ordinal numbers suffixes
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

1. Ordinals and "AutoCorrect"
a. The traditional way to denote ordinals in English texts is a mixup of numerical notation with textual abbreviations. It uses different suffixes in grammatical and thus often illogical way. There are similar outdated ways in French. Never go such ways in a technical environment. Spreadsheets are technical.
b. To "support" the bad ways features manageable under Tools>'AutoCorrect Options...' are used. I cannot write a tutorial on them. Best switch them all off for Calc, and alo the Tools>Cell Content>Autoinput.
c. Using points does well cope with denoting ordinals and with numbering and subnumering textual trees.
(d. I personally prefer to set my document language to Esperanto in spreadsheets. It avoids lots of nonsense otherwise coming in.)

2. "Border Lines"
a. Never use text attributes as a surrogate.
b. Spreadsheets have a cell grid neither to mix up with cell borders nor with a drawing grid (managed under Options>OpenOffice Calc>Grid). You can make the cell grid visible or not choosing the respective options in Tools>Options>OpenOffice Calc>View. In addition you can change the colour there. There is no way to change the thickness (line width) of the cell grid. If you want to get the cell grid printed, you need to make the setting under Format>Page...>Sheet.
c. Cells can have borders on any selection of their 4 sides, cell ranges can also have borders between the cells. Even diagonals are treated under the (then misleading) term "Borders". The settings are made for a selection using Format>Cells from the main menu or 'Format Cells...' from the context nenu (right click opens it) of the selection. Same settings can be made for named cell styles ('Modify'). For lines set this way you have additional choices concerning their width and their linestyle.

3. "Permanent".
You can set cell attributes you want to be permanent only by modifying the 'Default' cell style of the template you derive your spreadsheet documents from. Since you probably did not define one yet, and the internal default template cannot be edited, you need to do it first for one (no cell content?) Calc document, to save this as a template, and to make it your 'Standard' template for Calc.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
ian german

Post by ian german »

Thanks Rob, thanks Lupp .............. Lupp's reply slightly above my pay grade but I will try to follow his suggestions and close this as "solved"
ian german

Post by ian german »

..... if only I knew how!

Can someone close this for me - thanks :bravo:
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

A search would have found the answer; but here it is anyway.

How to tag a topic as solved.

In your first post, click the Edit button. Go to the subject line and add [Solved] at the beginning of the subject.

Then select the green tick as the Post icon (just below the subject line). Preview if you wish to see how it looks.
Finally, hit Submit - done!
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
ian german

Post by ian german »

Thanks - I thought it had to be done elsewhere