[Solved] Adjusting the height of a column header

Discuss the spreadsheet application
tbaker

[Solved] Adjusting the height of a column header

Post by tbaker »

I have a sneaking suspicion there's an easy fix to this, but I have yet to find one.

The column headers on any of my spreadsheets are so flattened that I can barely click on them to sort.

I think I must have adjusted the font of the headers to be too small, but I don't even know if I could do that in the first place?

Any advice would be more than welcome. Thank you for your time.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.5
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
RusselB

Re: Adjusting the height of a column header

Post by RusselB »

Is this from a new spreadsheet, or one that has been saved and then opened?
If the latter, try opening a new, blank, spreadsheet using File -> New (Ctrl+n on Windows)
If the former, or if you see no difference after following the instructions above, try resetting your user profile as described in the [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q02/A02
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

Yes, this occurs on any spreadsheet - old ones I've created before or new ones.

I followed your instructions on resetting my user profile and I'm still getting the flat column headers.

Thank you for the reply.
Open Office 4.1.5
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Presuming that you reset your user profile correctly (you would've been asked for your name the next time you started OpenOffice), and that it didn't resolve the problem (as you have stated), then my next suggestion is to repair the installation (I don't know if Macs have that option). If they don't, or if the repair doesn't work, then uninstall the current installation, download a new copy, and then reinstall.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

After you reset the User Profile, on next startup of OpenOffice were you prompted for name and Initials?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

Yes, I was asked for my first and last name, and my initials.
Open Office 4.1.5
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OK, that is proof that you did the reset correctly. I would Delete the User Profile , uninstall, then install from a fresh download, as RusselB advises. But delete the User Profile first, so no "contamination" from it is carried over to the new install.
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

First, thank you all again for the help.

I tried a fresh download, after deleting my user folder inside my "4" folder. Same thing.

I went back and downloaded 4.1.4 again, after deleting my user folder first. Same thing.

I could only go back as far as 4.1.0, but I got the same results.

If I'm the only one who seeing this, then it has to be my user profile creating the problem, right? If another Mac Sierra user is able to see normal-sized headers, but not me, and the only thing different is our profiles, then that has to be it. But I trashed that folder, over and over again.

Even if there was software on my computer, like Photoshop with its 1000s of fonts, that could corrupt Open Office, I would still have to had combined the two somehow. (And that hasn't happened, at least not in the last couple of hours.)

It's really a minor problem. I mean, I can still click up there. I can still sort columns and all that. It's just 0.45% more difficult to do so.

If anyone else thinks of something, like something I could look at in the code, I would very much appreciate it. But again, I'm already thankful for the assistance you've given me. If anything, I learned where my profile folder is in my library. :)
Open Office 4.1.5
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I doubt it is the User Profile; it may be some overlooked setting in your Mac User settings (as opposed to your OO User settings). I'm not a Mac user, but there are problems with Macs and OpenGL fonts, I am certain with LibreOffice, and possibly also with OpenOffice. Try, as an experiment, disabling any use of OpenGL fonts.
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

One thing I've noticed is that if I turn on the Column and Row Headers in the print menu, they'll appear normally on paper.

(From the page preview:)

But they're still squished on the regular document.
Open Office 4.1.5
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
gapotts

Post by gapotts »

I too have been having this issue for months and on two different versions of the OS as well as two different versions of the application.
OpenOffice 4.1.6
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I noticed that the two people commenting about having this problem are both reporting using MacOS High Sierra 10.x (10.12.6 and 10.13.6)
Can either of you test if you get this same problem on a different machine, either non-Mac or a Mac using a different version of their OS?
If you can or not, I'm hoping that another volunteer/helper that is running High Sierra might be able to give some insight.
gapotts

Post by gapotts »

It started when I first used OO under macOS Sierra and continues under High Sierra (two separate major revisions of macOS). I don't recall if I saw it under Mavericks. It also was under two versions of OO 4.1.5 and 4.1.6. Applied all the fixes mentioned so far in this thread. And as I alluded to both upgraded the OS and OO without change. It has been many months I just did not find the issue all that frustrating until now. Further the install of High Sierra was clean on a new machine and I uninstalled 4.1.5 before instal of 4.1.6 hoping it might fix it. No joy. FYI: I am an IT desktop support professional
OpenOffice 4.1.6
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

I was able to solve the problem by downloading LibreOffice and using that instead.
Open Office 4.1.5
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6