Viewing a video

Discuss the presentation application
joelrc77

Viewing a video

Post by joelrc77 »

Hello,
I'm new to OpenOffice & have it installed. I'm trying to view a presentation video from a thumb drive but the video will not run. How do I solve this? I'm using MacOS 10.11.6. Any help will be appreciated. I've tried choosing presentation in the beginning page with asks you what you want to open, but none seem to work. Again thank you.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 with MacOS 10.11.6
FJCC

Re: Viewing a video

Post by FJCC »

If the file you are trying to view is purely a video file, then OpenOffice is not the correct software. I am not familiar with the programs on a Mac but there must be a default program for videos.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

joelrc77 wrote:I'm trying to view a presentation video
The correct program will depend on precisely what type of video you have. How was the "presentation video" created? By OpenOffice Impress? By Microsnot Powerpoint? Something else? In very general terms, my Mac Help says: iTunes has everything you need to be entertained—whenever you want, wherever you are. With iTunes, you can organize and play your music and videos; find music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and more; and set up your iPad, iPhone, or iPod. iTunes comes on every new Mac. But iTunes can't play every type of video, which is why you need to determine the precise type.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
joelrc77

Post by joelrc77 »

Thank all of you fir the response. I should have mentioned that the video file is ppsx file. I've never heard of that by the way.
Thanks again. ~Joel
OpenOffice 4.1.5 with MacOS 10.11.6
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

.ppt and .pptx files are PowerPoint presentations which AOO and LO support (almost but not completely).

Only some video formats are supported by AOO and LO, and these may need you to install a Windows video codex. See [Solved] Ensure presentation with video works on AOO and LO and search the Impress forum for other posts. You can unzip the .pptx file and see what video file is stored in it and extract it.

What are the exact words of the error message you get - it is telling what the problem is.

Searching Help with video says:
To insert a movie or sound file into your document
1. Click where you want to insert the file.
2. Choose Insert - Movie and Sound.
3. In the File Open dialogue box, select the file that you want to insert.

The file types that are listed in this dialogue box are not supported by all operating systems.

4. Click Open.
Alternatively, you can choose Tools - Media Player to open the Media Player. Use the Media Player to preview all supported media files. Click the Apply button in the Media Player window to insert the current media file into your document.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Can you play WMV format outside of OpenOffice, using the system video player? If not, you need to install the correct codec.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

robertvadara49 wrote:I'm not able to play WMV format while MP4 works fine .
Search the forum with video formats.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

robertvadara49 wrote:I'm not able to play WMV format [on MacOS 10.14.1] while MP4 works fine.
Is it any surprise that a Mac cannot play Microsoft's proprietary digital audio format without installing special foreign software?
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).