Landscape orientation for printing

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Batten

Landscape orientation for printing

Post by Batten »

I'm fairly new to OpenOffice and very pleased with its flexibility but now I'm stumped.
At the end of my book is an appendix containing a table over six pages in landscape format.
I require the table to be read page by page by turning the book through 90 degrees clockwise but when printed all the pages are 180 degrees out i.e. upside down. Turning the book the other way doesn't allow the chart to flow over the pages.
Format -> Flip options are greyed out.
Is there a way to flip the page to get the orientation I want?
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Landscape orientation for printing

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Batten

Post by Batten »

Thank you Villeroy.
I'm not new to forums nor am I lazy so I searched this forum with "landscape orientation" before posting my request for assistance.
To be clear, I have learned about styles and have created my six page table in landscape format within the body of the book. When displayed on-screen it all looks good: View -> Zoom -> Columns + Book mode.
However, when printed the landscape pages are inverted i.e. 180 degrees out.
I realise that text cannot be rotated (except within the draw function) - is there a way to define the top and bottom of landscape pages so that they will print the way I want?
Your assistance would be most gratefully received.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Try different page layout settings for the page style (left & right, left only, right only, mirrored). I don't really understand these but I think they determine where the binding margin is. If you switch the binding margin of a landscape page, it will look like a rotation.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Batten

Post by Batten »

Thank you - I'll investigate tomorrow.
Batten

Post by Batten »

Left only and right only page styles have been set up and populated but the result is the same - the landscape pages print upside down.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Left only and right only page styles have been set up and populated but the result is the same - the landscape pages print upside down.
Can you upload a small ODF type sample file here with your page settings ands some dummy text?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Batten

Post by Batten »

Here is a sample of what I'm trying to do: it's a book in portrait orientation followed by some pages of tables in landscape orientation which are required to be read sequentially by turning the book through 90 degrees clockwise, so that the table flows from top to bottom over six pages. When the book is printed the landscape pages appear upside down.
If more is need to investigate the problem I'll do what I can - please ask.
Attachments
Landscape print test.odt
(10.47 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Last edited by Batten on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A suggestion (not worked out): use a frame on each page, into which you insert your text, then invert the text on the requisite pages.

[Solved] Rotate text box
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Batten

Post by Batten »

Frames would not let me rotate them.
A kludge which works is to use the MS snipping tool to copy each page of my chart into a PDF, invert them in Photoshop, and paste them into each page of my OO Writer document. But now the definition of the printing does not match that of the rest of the document, so I hesitate to say that this is solved. :(
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Can we agree that this is a bug in AOO and LO?
I applied 3 different styles to the landscape pages with left+right, left and right binding margin. All 3 pages print with the top side on the right. At least one of the top sides should be printed on the left side.
Attachments
Landscape_print_2.odt
(9.97 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

If it is only a printing problem then the most easy way seems me: print the document to a pdf file and rotate the pages of the pdf document. Save it again as pdf with a different name. It seems to work. OpenSUSE leap 15 does have all the tools standard. I do not know if I understand all things.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the book is being printed from a PDF, I would separate the pages in question before generating the main book PDF, format them on paper double the size of the book pages in the desired orientation and make a PDF from these; I would then use a PDF amalgamation program to join these to the end of the PDF of the rest of the book. Or simply print them separately on the double sized paper and collate them into the book before it is bound.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Batten

Post by Batten »

Thank you for your continued interest in my problem and for your efforts in trying to find a solution.
There's another wrinkle to this tale -
when the inverted .odt file is exported to PDF the screen display looks OK but the landscape pages are printed in portrait with the landscape chart down-sized to occupy the centre of the page, inverted.
I'm beginning to think that my only solution may be to create the table in portrait in 6 point to get it all in a page width, rather than the 10 point used in the rest of the A5 book. Another kluge which is far from ideal and I'd rather not do that.