Checking the version of an inserted image

Discuss the word processor
Jeff Root

Checking the version of an inserted image

Post by Jeff Root »

I'm assembling a book of about 100 pages with about 80 pictures.
Sometimes I edit a picture that I have already inserted into the
document, and save it either with the same filename or with a new
version number at the end of the filename. Usually the edit is
very subtle, so it isn't obvious whether I'm looking at the new
version or an older version unless I compare them side-by-side.
Sometimes I forget to replace the old image in the document with
the new version, and don't notice.

Is there an easy way to see the filename of an image that has
been inserted into a document?

Is there a recommended method for replacing an existing image
with a different one? Sometimes the aspect ratio is different,
but often it is unchanged, and all the other info about the image
is the same, too, so it would be convenient if I didn't have to
enter it again when I replace an image with one that has been
only very slightly edited, such as by increasing the contrast.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Checking the version of an inserted image

Post by John_Ha »

Jeff Root wrote:Is there an easy way to see the filename of an image that has been inserted into a document?
Yes and no.

No: Images lose their identity when the are embedded in a document.

Yes: If you link the images, the image itself is not stored in the document - it stays on the PC. If you edit the image on the PC - and don't change the file name - the document will pull in the edited image. You must then send the images as well as the document if you send the document to someone. You can break the links, and embed the previously linked images, so the document contains the now embedded images.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion. Be sure to read Chapter 8 - Working with Graphics in the manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha wrote: No. Images lose their identity when the are embedded in a document.
A way that comes to mind is to apply a version identifier to the Image caption; this extraneous information would probably need to be removed or concealed with conditional formatting (I haven't worked that out) before final printing or PDF of the file.

Or attach a Comment with version information to the picture location.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Jeff Root wrote:Is there a recommended method for replacing an existing image with a different one? Sometimes the aspect ratio is different
If it is an embedded graphic you can highlight it and paste the new graphic image - it replaces the highlighted image and takes it aspect ratio.

If it is an embedded photo, delete the original photo and insert the new photo.

There is a hack if you have many images to be edited ... but be very, very careful - caveat emptor! Unzip a copy of the .odt file and look inside \Pictures where you will find the embedded images. Edit them (change contrast, add text, resample pixel count, change number of colours, use drawing tools etc) and replace them. Do not change their size (inches or mm) or aspect ratio.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
Last edited by John_Ha on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Another suggestion (as I would do it if I wrote books at all):

As long as you work on the document's prerelease insert images you "rule" (can edit yourself or replace under the same file path by others) as links. ("Constant" images ruled by others always insert embedding, not as links, and add the version {URL, date-time-stamp} information to the caption.)
In advance of releasing a version of the document make a release-copy of it, and in this copy break the links to the images which means that they get embedded and the information about the original source is deleted. Now you may also rework the mentioned captions to get a less technical representation of the information. The original document keep 1. for the documentation of its creation 2. as a basis for a next prerelease version.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München