Kernel for Base recovery tool and file repair

Discuss the database features
MikeReid

Kernel for Base recovery tool and file repair

Post by MikeReid »

Hi,
I find my database (.obd) file will not open, the backups are also corrupted.
Searching the web shows me a commercial tool "Kernel for Base".
However I can find no independent review of this product or anybody saying its works or doesn't work.
Any advice on .obd repair or the above product (I have the convert to zip tutorial which I am studying).
Mike
OpenOffice 4.0.0 Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Kernel for Base recovery tool and file repair

Post by RoryOF »

I'd hold off on that or any tool not advised on Forum. I know nothing of the particular tool, but I know from experience that some Forum volunteers have experience in recovering damaged databases.
 Edit: Have you tried a computer restart? Sometimes "all" OO files showing as corrupted can be due to some local configuration corruption, which a restart cures. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Under Linux I could partially repair some corrupted Base files with

Code: Select all

zip -FF file.odb --out file_fixed.odb
Windows does not come with that many useful tools but I'm sure there is something you can install. One problem with WIndows is that there are too many untrustworthy sources of questionable software tools.

And of course, the one and only protection against big data loss is a decent backup tool and a backup strategy. Linux makes this rather easy with preinstalled tools and dozends of freely installable alternatives from trustworthy sources.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MikeReid

Post by MikeReid »

tried the reboot, no luck. but thanks anyway.
Mike
OpenOffice 4.0.0 Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Until you get specific advice, I suggest not messing with the damaged files, as one runs the risk of "damaging the damage" and ending up with irrecoverable files. Wait 24 hours, to give time for those with more experience to come on-line and advise.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I've sent a PM with an offer to send me the odb.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The file in question with Mike's permission. I get nowhere with zip -F[F] because the binary data seem to be lost. And the single edit form died as well.
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

There are online web sites to repair zip files, I just tried one with https://online.officerecovery.com/zip/. Unfortunate you have to pay for the service, but the demo.zip returned showed more files in the database folder than 7zip did on my PC: backup, data, log, properties, but this will be no guaranty that content is OK.
So when the corruption is at the level op the file-index format it might be possible somehow. Like in the old days repairing DOS' fat table with debug.exe.

WinZip has a command line option to try to fix things: http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/126
WinRAR seems to have also the possibility to fix things.
But I do not have any of the two available, maybe some one else...
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)